JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   2014 Jeep Compass (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/2014-jeep-compass-1547375/)

Youngone97TJ 07-10-2013 01:50 PM

2014 Jeep Compass

:wave: My girlfriend is look to buy a compact SUV. We went looking this past weekend and out of all the vehicles we looked at, she liked the Compass the best. I have been reading about them, and I like them as well. We are looking at the Latitude 4X4 (FD 1) with the tow-prep-group. I just have a few questions.

1: The new six speed auto-tranny... What do you all think of it compared to the CVT?

2: We will not do a whole lot of off-roading in this vehicle because I have my TJ, but as far as I can tell the 4X4 system seems really nice to have incase of ice or anything (we live in the foothills of CA and don't have to worry about a whole ton of snow, but ice is a problem). Also, it seems capable to do some light trail work (fire-roads, abandoned roads, etc.). Am I correct?

3: I have read that the engines in these cars don't seem to have a whole lot of get up and go (it's a Jeep with a small engine...) but does the 2.4L do better (power wise) than the 2.0L? I have seen the power differences on paper, but have only test drove the 2.0L and my girlfriend said she thought it had about as much power as her '05 Focus. We are looking to do some very light towing so I was just curious.

Thank you all for any feedback! :D

Chris

moored194 07-10-2013 02:16 PM

I have the 2014 patriot with the 2.4 and 6 speed. I have to tell you as far as regular driving its got plenty of go. And the transmission is nice and smooth. In the last 2 months I've done almost 3000 miles and its a great ride.
I have the sport with the fd1 as well. I have done some light offroading with it already mostly dirt trails and tank trails on a local base. Over all I am very happy with it for an everyday driver. As far as the towing I'm not sure I have yet to have to tow anything or have the need to.

FujativeOCR 07-10-2013 02:58 PM

Definately get the 6 speed. The cvt is a POS and is probably the source for it's lack of power. The 6 speed should fix that.

andyenobs 07-10-2013 03:14 PM

I have the 6 speed diesel in the UK and I've got to say its got plenty of power. The engine is a Mercedes 2.2 litre and even as a diesel has plenty of acceleration. With regards the 4wd like you I won't really use it off-road more for winter snow but I have seen a video on this site somewhere showing a Compass going over rocks etc - ver impressive.

Sent from my HTC One X using JeepForum

FujativeOCR 07-10-2013 03:15 PM

The diesel likely uses a different 6 speed.

andyenobs 07-10-2013 04:19 PM

It does a manual box which I find better on our narrow bendy country roads over here. It gives me more control. Before I bought the Compass I test drove a petrol engined automatic Wrangler with the old cvt engine and I thought it was absolutely gutless and I believe so did most of the motoring critics in the reviews I read.

FujativeOCR 07-10-2013 05:15 PM

Horsepower and Torque specs are similar to most other 2.4 liters out there. What would make it more gutless than the rest?

Youngone97TJ 07-10-2013 07:38 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I just want to make sure this vehicle is going to be exactly what we want, and so far it seems to be! If I have any more questions I will continue to ask on this thread.

Youngone97TJ 07-11-2013 12:39 PM

Alright, I have another question... Does the 2014 Compass with the Tow Prep Group come with a receiver? I don't see where it says anything about it, but I don't want to assume.

andyenobs 07-11-2013 01:02 PM

My 2013 came with a screw in towing eye which was with the jack and spare wheel. I would assume the 2014 would be the same.

JeepCares 07-11-2013 01:06 PM

AHC TRAILER TOW PREP GROUP
Includes: ENGINE OIL COOLER (NHA)
FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE (TBB)
TRAILER TOW WIRING HARNESS (XEY)

AHT MOPAR TRAILER TOW GROUP
Includes: CLASS III RECEIVER HITCH (XFJ)

jk13crush 07-12-2013 10:26 PM

I have a jk but have been driving my sisters 2013 compass with the 2.0 and cvt and it will not move for anything. I'd say go with the 2.4

andyenobs 07-13-2013 03:06 AM

All the motoring reviews I've read say the cvt engines were poor which is why Jeep are coming away from them I believe.

FujativeOCR 07-13-2013 09:52 AM

The cvt is a transmission, not an engine.

andyenobs 07-13-2013 03:34 PM

Well it wasn't rated by motoring journalists.

The time now is 11:52 AM.