2014 Compass as replacement for '04 Honda? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2014 Compass as replacement for '04 Honda?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
derfc
2010 JK Wrangler 

2014 Compass as replacement for '04 Honda?

Hi all,

As mentioned in the thread title, I'm looking to replace my wife's '04 CRV (that's been needing $$$/ replacement parts just about every month for the past 6 months now) and we're considering the new Compass. She likes the look and feel of it & it certainly seems to fit our current needs pretty well (grocery getter, taking the kiddos to school, maybe a short trip here & there).

Since I drive a '10 JKU and we don't live in an area where white stuff falls out of the sky, she won't be needing 4wd. With those things in mind, we're looking at a Sport with the 2.0 and 6-speed auto. About the only drawbacks that I can find are that it has rear drum brakes (Really? In 2014?!?!) and limited cargo capacity (about 10 cu ft less than her Honda).

Now I'm looking for insight from actual users/ owners. What do you like or dislike about your Compass? Has it been reliable? etc, etc, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Derf

derfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Drum brakes are pretty common still on fwd econo boxes (which the compass is). rear brakes only do about 10-20% of braking, and are mostly there to keep the rear end from changing places with the front end.

Honestly, I would not recommend the 2.0l, Not enough MPG performance for the lack of power. You'll always wish you got the 2.4l. I have a patriot (same thing as a compass under the skin) and love it. I've had it a year, It's lifted, with larger tires, and I take it off roading often, I've never had an issue with it. it has just shy of 13k miles.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
greenmohawk
2008 MK Compass 

I've got a front wheel drive compass 5-speed manual 2.4L. I definately would not go with the 2.0L, passing people on the highway would become near impossible, I feel being manual gives me a bit more of an edge as well since I can drop to 3rd and go for it.

that being said I DO live where the white stuff flies and have never gotten stuck even though i dont have 4 wheel drive, passed many cars/SUV's in the ditch or just plain stuck in the middle of the road. good tires and driving properly will get you just about anywhere. one thing I will say is when the snow gets pretty deep my compass drives better with the traction control OFF. with it on in the deep stuff i find it robs far too much power and causes me to lose my momentum. but in wet/icy conditions it works just fine.
greenmohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
derfc
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help, folks.

The 2.0L is definitely a concern; supposedly the 6-speed tranny helps, though. I guess that I'll have to drive one & find out.

Any other thoughts?
derfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Jhop16
2008 MK Compass 

well the autostick we can drop it down too

but mines also a 2.4

the car will move just fine as long as your not trying to hot rod it, It's not a sports car and it will remind you of that when you mash on the gas
Jhop16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Everything points to the 6 speed as a much better choice than the CVT

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

Sometimes I really miss my V8 and the quick acceleration but in the end the gas mileage wins. I've found that if you're at a stop and need quicker acceleration the autostick definitely helps. The 2.4 still feels sluggish without using autostick from a stop.
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

some people are concerned with the looks of the new Cherokee, but have you considered that? much closer in size to the Honda you have, it has much newer technology on the inside, and is available with the new 3.2 V6 for mileage AND horsepower. may be more along the lines of what you're looking for. the CR-V and Compass really don't compete in the same segment. in fact, there really aren't any direct competitors to the MK models due to their size.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.