2014 Compass.....How do you like yours ? Any Issues ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2014 Compass.....How do you like yours ? Any Issues ?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 07-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #31
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkurman View Post
The engine in the Compass is not as anemic as some have stated either...It's no Ecoboost turbo but as each mile goes by[447 miles so far ] the engine gets better in acceleration and driving it is fun.
You know what is a big contributor to the 14's improved responsiveness performance is the NEW (for 2014) 6-Speed Automatic transmission. It was not available until this year and before that all (autos) were the Constant Velocity auto transmission. Many folks feel that's what makes these Jeeps a bit sluggish. This new 6 speed auto is real nice transmission. I'm very pleased with mine.

- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #32
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
You know what is a big contributor to the 14's improved responsiveness performance is the NEW (for 2014) 6-Speed Automatic transmission. It was not available until this year and before that all (autos) were the Constant Velocity auto transmission. Many folks feel that's what makes these Jeeps a bit sluggish. This new 6 speed auto is real nice transmission. I'm very pleased with mine.

Yup, have the 2.4L 6-speed auto in the Patriot.
I test drove a Patriot with the CVT trans, and
it was a slug. On the test drive I was trying to
merge on to the hwy, I looked over at the salesman
and told him "I've got it floored!" as I was getting
on the hwy. Not impressed with the CVT....

The 6-speed feels like you're on a street bike the
way it shifts through gears.
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #33
merkurman
2014 MK Compass 

On the 2014 Limited does anyones' truck have automatic headlights??? My light control does not have the auto position yet I can't believe this vehicle would not have that feature...Guess it is time for a trip back to the dealership...My owners' manual and users' guide show a light control with auto on it but I guess I will be told that is just a stock photo and not indicative of the Compass Limited or otherwise...
merkurman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #34
Nancyebmn
2014 MK Compass 

Couldn't believe it either.

I thought the same thing. My 2011 200 had the auto option . Also can't believe it doesn't have a switch to open the back. Nothing in the jeep or on the remote.
Nancyebmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
johhnyx
1946 CJ2A 

Jeep Compass reliability

I only thought I would chime in about long term reliability. I tend to keep vehicles until the rust in New York kills them. I've had Chevy's Fords and Mopars, and eventually they all rust into the ground. Each has its own mechanical quirks that I will hate when I fix them, but overall (and I have only once bought a Toyota for the kid, I will only buy US) powertrain reliability is pretty good for 100K to 150K miles.

The last Mopar I bought before my wife's 2007 Compass was a 1997 Dodge Intrepid. That car was an absolute tank of reliability, as far as I experienced. I just use some regular maintenance and always use synthetic oil, but I could not have been much happier with that car in terms of drivetrain (26-27 on highways) and solid construction. Very solid, good engineering. Lots of room and had superb traction in snow, best FWD drive ever bought. (3.5L)

The Compass was on paper the ideal car for my wife, who had to drive 20 or so miles and around on back roads for her work. So I opted for AWD instead of FWD. Besides, no Jeep-labeled vehicle should EVER be ordered with only 2WD. Sorry, but that should be a law somewhere.

I'm not totally unhappy with the Compass. I can give you the good points:
Rides pretty good with good tires on it. OEMs were junk. Performance with CVT is adequate on highway, not great, but OK. I personally don't like the CVT "feel" and would certainly replace with 6speed conventional today. The Compass does the 4WD in snow very well and is certainly as capable as any non-off-road driver should ever need. We own a remote cottage place that has some hills and gets bad winter snow, and the little Jeep has always made it through. It carries OK with the rear seats down. I don't like the limited volume due to the slope back. I would have rather had the Patriot. (couldn't wait for it at the time, when it first came out) Rear seat room is very good. Lighting is great I think.

And so far, at now 8years and 100K miles, no major problems, knock on wood.

And the negatives: cheap interior-no surprises to anyone. Uncomfortable seats and armrests, etc. I'm pretty disappointed with mileage on it, for its size. Mediocre I feel for the "power". I don't like winding engines up to 6000 all the time to get any oomph out of them.

Construction and build quality are poor by my standards. I would say it was designed on the cheapo, to replace the Neons and such. I had a 1983 Dodge Omni based car and I would rate it about the same quality. It will not last I think too much longer without major work. The body is rusting along all the spot welds and panel seams. Get underneath it and it has lots and lots of creeping rust. At 20 or 30K miles, I had a bad front end ball joint. No part available separately, had to buy the whole lower control arm. Very easy repair, but too darn expensive. Then the other side went out. The front suspension sway bar links are constantly wearing out. Rear brakes have a bad flex hose interference in their design. At about 90K, the entire rear suspension was junk. I had to replace every, and I really mean every, part, links trailing arms, etc. All the rubber was rotted, and they cannot be repaired. The rear axle half shafts were rusting into the hubs. I had to drill out the cotter pins. The splines are actually going bad. Both rear hubs went bad. The brake backing plates rusted straight thru. The subframe is rusting badly, and they just sent me a recall on it. I didn't have a huge problem with replacing the rear suspension, but even at online discount prices, I spent a grand or so on parts. And parts had to be cut out with the grinding wheel to remove some of them. I wrote in an earlier post about the alternator design. Its not unique to the Compass. But while removing it, I just found so many more things that were rusting to the point of service life, its scaring me.

Lots of little seat parts and trim seem to break off, and the door hinge design rusts really badly. I could not keep them lubricated enough to not squeek horribly. Problem is usually only my wife drives it, and so the other three doors don't get used much. And they freeze up. Impossible to fix w/o replacement.

I'm pretty sure in the next two years, enough stuff will be rusting away to start at the point of diminishing returns. Maybe 10 years is good enough for what is really a pretty base economy car chassis, its just not really a Jeep in my book. Unless my mind changes, I will probably get a new Patriot soon if they've nicer-ed up the interior and given it a six speed. Overall the car has kept her safe in winter, and that made me feel secure, and carried enough stuff to our cottage to be really useful. The Escape was my other option at the time. I'll have to research to see if it is built better. As I said, I'd like to keep them a long time. If its basic repairs or even more, I will do it myself and help the economics of it I just hate dealing with dealers so much. Hope this rant is helpful to someone. It's good to get it off my chest. cheers, John
johhnyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #36
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhnyx View Post
And so far, at now 8years and 100K miles, no major problems, knock on wood.

And the negatives: cheap interior-no surprises to anyone. Uncomfortable seats and armrests, etc. I'm pretty disappointed with mileage on it, for its size. Mediocre I feel for the "power". I don't like winding engines up to 6000 all the time to get any oomph out of them.
Great detailed review John.

Keep in my John's Compass is a 2007. Hopefully, many of the issues that he addressed have been dealt with in the 2011+ MK upgrade.

I can say from experience with my 14 Compass with the new 6 speed automatic transmission, that I am very pleased with the engine's performance and efficiency. Power on highway on-ramps and passing power are more than adequate. The transmission is very smooth and upshifts very quickly through the gears. As I mentioned before, IMHO, the transmission does downshift much too earlier. To the point (at speeds below 25 MPH), the downshifts are hard and slow the vehicle down to much. Not good for fuel economy.
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #37
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:

Keep in my John's Compass is a 2007. Hopefully, many of the issues that he addressed have been dealt with in the 2011+ MK upgrade.

I can say from experience with my 14 Compass with the new 6 speed automatic transmission, that I am very pleased with the engine's performance and efficiency. Power on highway on-ramps and passing power are more than adequate. The transmission is very smooth and upshifts very quickly through the gears. As I mentioned before, IMHO, the transmission does downshift much too earlier. To the point (at speeds below 25 MPH), the downshifts are hard and slow the vehicle down to much. Not good for fuel economy.

On the upside, I like how the transmission downshifts
by giving it little gass. I practically have to floor the
XK to downshift, and it upshifts way to fast. To get
around this, I keep in in tow mode around town.

The Patriot has never needed to see 6k to get out of
it's own way. I don't notice the downshifts unless I let
it coast at low speed. Give it a little gas, and it will maintain
speed. Not too sure how this affects fuel economy. Maybe
it saves wear and tear on the brakes.
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #38
ssapmoc

Just traded in my 2008 Compass; 198K miles, 198K good miles at that, for a 2014 Compass Sport FWD, 2.4L, 5 speed manual. Regretted having to trade it in but costlier repairs were on the horizon. If 4WD came with the manual transmission I would have opted for it. Regardless of the improvements made to automatic transmissions over the decades I'll never own one. The Compass is what it is. It's not the Jeep I want. It is the Jeep I need. From the perspective of cost and gas mileage and a 400 mile per week commute it's the right choice for me. I did notice that the Sport did not come with rear disc brakes as did the 2008. Options included the Power Value group, UConnect 6/CD/DVD/MP3 player and UConnect Voice command bluetooth. So far I'm pleased.
ssapmoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #39
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Just verified it. To keep from downshifting to
early at low speeds, just give it a little gas.
I was just going down hill doing 25 just barely
touching the gas, manually downshifted, and I
was in 4th gear. Take your foot off the gas and
it almost feels like a jake brake. LOL
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #40
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
Just verified it. To keep from downshifting to
early at low speeds, just give it a little gas.
I was just going down hill doing 25 just barely
touching the gas, manually downshifted, and I
was in 4th gear. Take your foot off the gas and
it almost feels like a jake brake. LOL
I'll give that a try.

Yes, a Jake Brake. That is exactly what it feels like coasting to a stop at low speeds.
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #41
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

The interior on the newer MK's is much improved. And as for the tranny....The new 6-speed gets rid of 90% of the complaints about the drive-ability of the MK. It is very responsive and feels like a completely different vehicle from my friend's '12 CVT.
937Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #42
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

I like the interior on my 2014 Compass; I have the limited model. In some ways it's much nicer than my 05 Equnoix that traded in on my Compass. The engine takes some getting used too but I love the MPG's I'm getting and the fact it should be more reliable than my Chevy. I wish the engine was just a wee bit more powerful but my Jeep goes great in the snow and that's important to me.
dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #43
johhnyx
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post
The interior on the newer MK's is much improved. And as for the tranny....The new 6-speed gets rid of 90% of the complaints about the drive-ability of the MK. It is very responsive and feels like a completely different vehicle from my friend's '12 CVT.

I have not sat in a new Patriot yet, what is the consensus on its interior compared to new Compass? It's still a little different, isn't it?

I really have to say I like the looks the Pat. better than the Compass. I'm not big on the mini-Grand Cherokee look, I like the traditional Jeep look. I'm told the Pat is the cheaper model, but when you option it to the Compass level, it's about the same price.

I'll still stand by the body quality remarks I made earlier. I doubt that the long term longevity will have improved much. If you get ten good years out of a car these days, I think the manufacturers call it good enough. I have worked on a lot of cars and know cheap design and construction when I see it and hold it in my hands. That being said, I dodged what I thought was a major transmission bullet that turned out to simply be a bad alternator clutch. I'm told the CVT newer generations were much better anyway. I don't have anything against them. Like most people I think I prefer the feel of the conventional. But it was "supposed" to give 5 or 7 percent better economy. I still think even an AWD Compass should be able to easily pass 30mpg on the highway. That rear axle and driveshaft don't add that much dead weight to it, and it drives 99% of the time in FWD mode anyway. I was never impressed by highway mileage on it.

J.
johhnyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #44
merkurman
2014 MK Compass 

Impressions after 3k miles in the first month...

Well I have had my Compass for almost a month and 3541 miles and have a few impressions on this truck...

This is a decent street vehicle...I would not take this truck off-road; that is what I have dirt bikes for...This is a FWD vehicle and it is running street tires on the 18" wheels that are very pretty and not really off-road designed... Driving it is not bad for this 6'4+" 300 lb driver although the center console is the main concern for my right leg...I have velcroed a sheet of dense foam to the drivers side of the console and replace it every week since the foam compresses after a few hours of driving every day...

Honestly more leg room would be nice but an Explorer or Grand Cherokee would be sufficient for that but this is a corporate vehicle assigned to me and the other vehicles would be cost out of pocket for the bigger vehicle...This Compass is pretty close to the 2012 Ford Escape XLT I drove before this one...

Powerwise the Compass is a capable performer with the 2.4 Liter 4 banger and the 6 speed auto box...The more I drive it the quicker it has gotten to accelerate and the smoother the engine is running...Fuel mileage is in the low to mid 20 mpg; I don't see this vehicle EVER getting into the 30 mpg without dropping it out of an airplane!!! Seriously it might get near the 30 mpg only if I stay under 50 or 60 mph...Which ain't gonna happen here in Texas...70- 85 mph is the norm and speed limit and the latest blast to 85 mph on the local tollway the Compass really seemed to run very well for the distance of 125 miles...

I miss the storage options I had in my other vehicles like the front seat backs or the overhead compartments or even the bigger center armrest console in my Explorer or Escape but I am learning to live with what I have...I bought fabric seatback holders and attached them to the back of the front seats...I try to carry less stuff around but that is in flux...After I get the first 10 or 20 k miles on it I will know whether it will be around for 60-80k miles in 2 years or if it will not make it for the duration of a normal period of ownership...

Some issues with it....On a 27k vehicle, I would expect features like automatic headlights, keyless entry, integrated blindspot mirrors or blindspot monitors built-in to the outside mirrors as standard...Granted this Limited does have the DVD player with hard drive storage with the hands free cell phone unit and leather seating which offsets other features but some of the aforementioned features are not even available until you step up to the Cherokee...I have driven a Cherokee and was surprised with the size difference but the added weight made the 2.4 liter engine more than bit sluggish and slower...

Last edited by merkurman; 08-05-2014 at 07:14 PM..
merkurman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.