2013 Jeep Compass ($4k under MSRP) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2013 Jeep Compass ($4k under MSRP)

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
idencustom
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 Jeep Compass ($4k under MSRP)

I don't know much about the Compass.... I'm a Wrangler guy. But today my wife purchased a 2013 Compass Sport for 4k less than MSRP.

Deal was so hard to pass up. She wanted the car.... so doesn't matter what my opinion is.... but the reviews I've been reading are not so favorable.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on this model?

12-1.jpg  
idencustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I spent the extra $3000 for a lifetime warranty through Chrysler. Might be something to consider. Then its only ever $100 to fix after the factory one runs out.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've had my patriot (basically the same car) for 3k miles. it is a great little SUV, Comfortable, good fuel economy. etc. most of the reviews you read are pre 2010/11. In 2010, the interior was redone, and the 2011 the body and suspension received upgrades as well. I don't know all the details of your Compass, did you get 4wd/2wd/auto/manual/ etc?

This forum is a bit dead, you should visit Jeep Patriot Dot com, there is a lot more activity on that site, and it is dedicated to the MK (platform number) Jeeps. You'll get a lot more answers and information there. The only difference between a patriot and the compass is the sheet metal.

Are there any concerns you are having? The thing that I've seen that people like the least is the CVT auto if you have it. But That is mostly because it Feels weird, as people are used to having actual gears that get shifted through, vs the engine sitting at one speed and no jerk of the transmission shifting. It doesn't bother me in the least, and more and more, cars are going to have CVT's vs regular autos anyways, so people are just gonna have to get used to them. so far the CVT in the MK has proven to be very reliable.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i just sold a compass to someone who lives in south carolina. little known fact, you receive incentives for where you LIVE, not where you're buying the car. same with paying taxes. the southeast business center has insane incentives on the compass right now, they're twice what they are in my business center (mid-atlantic). that's what helped to seal the deal with her.
IRSmart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I don't like the cvt's because they are crappy cvt's. I like Nissans and Subarus better. Much smoother.

Also ive now had 4 air bubbles in the interior trim panels. They bulge out at altitude or with heat.

Also lots of buzzing and vibration from interior. This is on a 2011.

Also only get about 16mpg city
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I like my fd2 compass. CVT is not bad at all once your used to it. Engine is alil noisy , but has enough power. Styling is great and 4wd as well.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Those of us with keen senses never get used to it.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I don't like the cvt's because they are crappy cvt's. I like Nissans and Subarus better. Much smoother.

Also ive now had 4 air bubbles in the interior trim panels. They bulge out at altitude or with heat.

Also lots of buzzing and vibration from interior. This is on a 2011.

Also only get about 16mpg city
The cvt that they use comes off the same factory floor as the one that subaru, nissan, and mitsubishi use....

the air bubbles should be covered under warrenty, if you are still under one.
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Just because it says Sony on it doesnt make it good. ie...Jatco makes many different cvt's and ours sucks. My Dads Maxima one is smooth as butter. Mine never knows if I'm trying to slow down or accelerate.
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Oh yeah and yes they will cover the bubbles under warranty. They did it when new to the right door. The 3 new bubbles are on the left.
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Just because it says Sony on it doesnt make it good. ie...Jatco makes many different cvt's and ours sucks. My Dads Maxima one is smooth as butter. Mine never knows if I'm trying to slow down or accelerate.
Check with the dealer for a software update. there was one for my 2012 they did before I even drove it off the lot, No issues at all with the CVT other than getting used to driving a car with one. (I drove a stick for years, and am used to judging my speed by gear/rpms, not speedo, so I actually have to pay attention to my speedo when accelerating.) its not my DD, but we've put nearly 3k miles on it in the 2 months we've owned it, and are very happy with it.
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

After some begging and pleading I got a dealer to do the update. Its better than it was but still sucks. Its that transition from on power to off power and back at lower speeds. Its so snappy. Not tight at all. And if I let it accelerate at a leisurely pace, like 2k rpm, tranny feels like it slips. Has since new and I test drove another that felt the same way. Its not just mine.
Unread 12-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
molano318

Original sender, I can't say if your winning unless your a manual. The auto got that cvvt which sucks when you want balls. The manual without all the mods is best where you can turn off the tcs off completely. Meaning a little more HP for a small time just like the HP button on a tracker. If you wanna push through this is for you, if you wanna rush through it then its not.
molano318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

If you look really close at his window sticker, it does in fact have the CVT.

I honestly don't mind it at all, neither does the wife. Some people just can't get used to it and have nothing but issues with it, others have no issues at all.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Love my CVT and Compass in general. Too few issues to complain about after 85K mile.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.