2012 Compass Roof Rail Crossbars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2012 Compass Roof Rail Crossbars

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Urugami
2012 MK Compass 

2012 Compass Roof Rail Crossbars

Hello, all. New Jeep owner and forum lurker (1 week), and even newer JeepForum member (1 minute or so)
Lovin' the Jeep but have a question about Mopar accessories.
Item# 82212352, "Roof Rack, Removable" - there's no picture for this item in the Mopar.com web site, and the Parts guy at the dealership couldn't pull up this year's model, only the 2011 version.
The trouble is, the roof rails on our Compass are not the same as the ones on all the other Jeeps with rails that I saw on the lot (ours was the only Compass there). All the other rails were a bit above the roof, while ours sort of blend into the roofline. I've got some pix that I can post links to later, to make it clearer.
In the picture the parts guy pulled up, the rails are definitely NOT like mine, so I'm hesitant to order something that I don't know is going to work.

So my obvious question is, are there any other 2012 Compass owners out there who got the Mopar cross bars, and if so, what's the part #?

Thanks,
Urugami

Urugami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

According to a few places that sell genuine OEM Jeep/Mopar parts, that part number is correct. Its the same part # for both 2011 and 2012.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Urugami
2012 MK Compass 

Thanks, Jason.
The trouble I'm having is that the picture I have of the 2011 model clearly shows the bars attached rails that sit above the roof.
I took >this picture< of what I'm assuming is one of the attachment points on my rails. There's a loop there, and what looks like a couple of covers for screws or threaded holes. And the rail isn't raised above the roof; it's sitting on the roof with no slot like I've seen the other Jeep rails have.

I could rig something up if/when needed, but I'd rather have the hardware that was built for this purpose, rather than bailing wire and chewing gum.
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

I guess I am having a hard time understanding what you're asking exactly without seeing the picture of the 2011 you're looking at. My Compass has the exact same roof rails with the same "loops."

If you're wondering how the cross bars fasten to the rails, that I cannot help you on unfortunately. I've only seen distant pictures of them on Compasses, and no close-ups.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Urugami
2012 MK Compass 

THIS is the picture the parts guy printed for me. Still can't see any detail, except that these are not the same roof rails that we have.
(I won't tell you where I found this picture, since it will only add to the confusion.)
I think what I'm going to do is to first check with an Auto Salvage yard I pass on my way home from work, to see if they've gotten in any Compasses with these bars. If not, I'll order from the dealership, reserving the right to not receive them if they don't fit (probably what I should have done in the first place, but I hate going off half-cocked).
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That last picture looks like that is the Bars on a Patriot. I haven't seen either a 2011/12 up close and personal but it does appear that was a major change from the earlier ones.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

I agree with Gramps. That's definitely not a picture from a Compass. If you look on the side, the door handle is down below the window, not half way up the window like it is on a Compass.

It may just be someone in Chrysler's IT department that decided to try and cheap out, and put a picture that was "close enough" to the real thing with that part number rather than paying for additional professional photographs/computer work. When it comes down to it, I always go by part numbers, never pictures. Very rarely fails.
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Urugami
2012 MK Compass 

You're both right...
That picture is from the 2011 Patriot section of the Mopar catalog. Why the parts guy would assume it was the same for a 2012 Compass, especially when I'm standing there telling him my rails are different, is beyond me.
I left work too late yesterday and the salvage yard was closed. I'll try checking today, and stop by the dealer if they don't have any.
Unless anybody reading this has any better ideas of where I might get these bars.
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Urugami
2012 MK Compass 

Thanks to Gramps in another thread, I found part# 82209622, which from the picture appears to be what I need. Those bars are listed as being for 2010 and earlier models.
Have they been getting rid of old parts on the production line, or what?
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
BeDevil79
2011 MK Compass 

You need the original part no. you had, they're for 2011/12 - the one you just listed is 2010 or before, different fitment so won't fit

You can find them online in a few places, or else do what I did - I got a set of none-Mopar bars from eBay because I wanted a different look without the bar overhang

BeDevil79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Urugami
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
You need the original part no. you had, they're for 2011/12
Now that's a good picture, and I can see that those are indeed what I need.
Thank You! I'll be ordering them this week.
Unread 08-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
zstatman
2013 MK Compass 

Yes, the B&W picture is how the 2011 is. The "loops" you mentioned are very handy and I used them the tie down my kayak before I got the rails

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
zstatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.