2012 Compass Limited Chrome rims? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2012 Compass Limited Chrome rims?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
RCAF_JP
2012 MK Compass 

2012 Compass Limited Chrome rims?

Hey everyone,

I'm using a product called plasti-dip to black out my chrome (cant get the altitude in Canada, so I am improvising....)

I have the badging and grille done so far, but while I was checking out the rims, I noticed something.

The chrome on my rims seems to be some kind of plastic hubcap-like overlay.

Does anyone have any pics of these style rims off the Jeep? I can't get to my auto club shop until at least the weekend, and since my driveway has one heck of a slope to it, Its not going to get jacked up til I get to the lift.

The internet has no pics of these rims disassembled. Ive been looking for a while now.

Thanks in advance!

RCAF_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Why not just buy a set of Altitude rims? They actually aren't that expensive for dealer rims. Like $300 or so list. A guy on another site got them for $211 each brand new. Buy the Altitude rims and then recoup some of the money and sell your Compass rims.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
RCAF_JP
2012 MK Compass 

Eventually, Ill get some black rims, but for now, this was what was in my budget.

Personally, I don't think it looks that bad at all. Despite the fact that she needs a good wash after it fully cures.
dsc03534.jpg  
RCAF_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i seriously hope that this plastidip fad ends soon. i'm not a fan of dipping the wheels at all, and they look like crap after a few months when it starts to peel off. but if you like it, that's truly what matters.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The wheels are actually chrome CLAD not chrome plated. I have heard of some using a lot of manual labor to peal it off. I would keep my eye out for new car take off, eBay or as suggested get them from the dealer or some aftermarket ones.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
i seriously hope that this plastidip fad ends soon. i'm not a fan of dipping the wheels at all, and they look like crap after a few months when it starts to peel off. but if you like it, that's truly what matters.
Never mind the plastidip fad, I want to see the whole black out fad go away.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
oemwheelguy

I was doing some market research on what kind of wheels people like and stumbled across these comments. I figured since I used to work for one of the companies that made chrome-clad wheels I’d offer some facts that may be helpful.

Although it is easy to describe them as wheel covers, they are not. Wheels covers are made in low cost countries from inexpensive plastic and can be easily removed – ever see a car running around without them after hitting a pothole? Chrome-clad wheels have an expensive engineered high-impact composite permanently bonded to the wheel to allow a high quality chrome finish to be applied.
oemwheelguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.