2012 compass headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2012 compass headlights

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
louthmale

2012 compass headlights

I'm looking to upgrade my H9 65W headlight bulbs to something stronger. Any recommendations please.

louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

The 2012 Compass does not have H9 bulbs. Unless you did some modifications to your bulbs/housing, it has H11s for the low beams (55w), and 9005s (HB3s) for the high beams (65w). Did you replace the H11s with H9s (I know thats a somewhat common practice and a very easy modification)?

Short of going the HID route, you can try eBay for several higher wattage bulbs. Nokyas always seem to do me right, even though they aren't of the highest quality. However, make sure you do some good custom wiring and do not use the factory wiring, as the factory wiring many times will eventually melt or worse from the higher wattage that it is not designed to handle.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
louthmale

I'm confused !! I took the dust cover off the back of the light and it said "osram H9 65W" on the back of the bulb. I haven't changed bulbs since I bought the car from new. Would the fact I live in Ireland have any effect on what bulbs are fitted from the factory I wonder
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthmale View Post
I'm confused !! I took the dust cover off the back of the light and it said "osram H9 65W" on the back of the bulb. I haven't changed bulbs since I bought the car from new. Would the fact I live in Ireland have any effect on what bulbs are fitted from the factory I wonder
um...yes lol

whatever you do, do NOT put HIDs in your car, for the sake of other drivers on the road.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
greenmohawk
2008 MK Compass 

Yes please, low beams are "low" beams for a reason, sure you might feel a bit safer on the road with brighter low beams, atleast until you blind the guy coming towards you and he smashes headlong into you
greenmohawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
louthmale

It's not the low beam that's the problem. I just find the high beam is not as bright as I'd like as I live on a farm and drive around sheds etc. The last car I had I changed the bulbs to osram nightbreaker ones and they where brilliant. But they don't do them in H9 so I was hoping you guys could help
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Yup, European models may be different.

HIDs would actually probably be OK in the Jeep Compass, or at least the American edition, because of its nice cut off point. However, it is still technically illegal in the states, and it may not reflect right onto the road as the housings were not designed for HIDs. For your high beams though, you could try it, since other drivers shouldn't see those anyway. Be aware of the risks though: installing HIDs can be very tricky with the newer, modern electronics in these Jeeps. You have to do it right and possibly with BOW (bulb out warning) cancelers.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwe View Post
Yup, European models may be different.

HIDs would actually probably be OK in the Jeep Compass, or at least the American edition, because of its nice cut off point. However, it is still technically illegal in the states, and it may not reflect right onto the road as the housings were not designed for HIDs. For your high beams though, you could try it, since other drivers shouldn't see those anyway. Be aware of the risks though: installing HIDs can be very tricky with the newer, modern electronics in these Jeeps. You have to do it right and possibly with BOW (bulb out warning) cancelers.
no, it would not. it is not smart to judge a beam pattern strictly by its cutoff point. there are a lot of other factors, and simply put, any hallogen housing (regardless of make/model) is not designed for use with a retrofitted HID bulb. you wind up with an unsafe and unpredictable beam pattern, which is why they are not sanctioned by the DOT.

this is also true with the high beams. remember, just because they're brighter doesn't mean they're better. that's two different things. you'd run into the same issues with the high beams as you would the lows. you will find that while they are certainly brighter, they don't put light where you need them.

and you're right about these newer cars. the MK models (and many other new cars i'm sure) will flash the headlights if you put HIDs in them, making them an impractical application from the start.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.