JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   2012 Compass 5 Spd Shift Knob removal (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/2012-compass-5-spd-shift-knob-removal-1394253/)

RCAF_JP 07-17-2012 04:38 PM

2012 Compass 5 Spd Shift Knob removal

I am brand new to the site, and have been trying to search the net all day to find a way to remove the stock 5 speed shift knob from my compass.

I can get the boot off it, and the top chrome cap, but as for the knob itself: its not budging.

I want to be able to replace it as it is just not the right feel for me. Makes shifting awkward.

Any help would be appreciated, as pulling it, twisting it, and searching it for retention screws has had no results.

That thing is stuck on there good.:confused:

RCAF_JP 07-18-2012 10:22 AM

OK so UPDATE: talked to my dealerships service dept, and according to their shop manuals: "if the shift knob on the 2011+ 5 speed is damaged, the entire shifter assembly must be replaced, as the shift knob is not designed to be removed."

Good to know, but it seems kinda foolish to me that they would design it like this.

Gramps 07-18-2012 12:55 PM

That really sucks but at least you found your answer. I do wonder if an earlier assembly could be used and then replace the knob on that. Wrecking yard item?

FujativeOCR 07-18-2012 04:52 PM

They really do everything they can think of to prevent us from customizing our cars don't they. I wonder why?

ddavidv 07-19-2012 05:35 AM

On the Patriot site I've read of people just taking a saw to the thing and cutting it off. You're committed to replacing the knob then, but that is the ultimate goal anyway. I agree, the feel of the stock knob is terrible.

RCAF_JP 07-19-2012 12:40 PM

It just doesn't sit right in the hand. I'm hesitant to take a saw to it, because if its non removable, the odds that the shifter arm is threaded are slim.

ddavidv 07-21-2012 06:51 AM

The shift lever is NOT threaded. The knob is a press fit.

cuemark8 07-22-2012 09:02 AM

shift knob replacement

I'm not familiar with the new design of the Compass shift knob and linkage, but in the older version the shift knob simply was pressed onto the shaft. By pulling upward it would slide off. It was not threaded!
If the new version is not removable cut it off. I cut my shaft down some anyways to shorten the throw.
Must new shifter knobs are made for a univesal fit. Mine was a MOMO shift knob. It has a base collar that has a rubber bushing to provide and expanable but snug fit. It slides over the shaft first and then the knob is set on the shaft it has 3 set screws that tightly hold the knob on the shaft. The shift knob tapers at the base where it has a threaded base. The base collar slides back up the shaft and threads onto the shift knob. This collar/bezel ,whatever you want to call it, hides the set screws and provides a flawless finish. As far as I know most shift knobs are made this way.

Cutting the shifter shaft may prove tricky. It is made of hardened steel made not bend or break. It is really hard to cut with any saw. I used a canvas blanket to protect the interior and used a grinder to cut it off.

RCAF_JP 07-26-2012 09:58 PM

I would love to get the thing off, but it is on there bloody good. i even opened my sunroof and stood with one leg on each side of the console to pull upwards.

Im not exactly a little guy, but im guessing if that didnt work, I'll have to saw.

Theres got to be a better way though way, since MOPAR sells aftermarket shift knobs for the 2012 compass....

Gramps 07-27-2012 08:43 AM

It sound like it may be easier to drill down through the plastic (assumed) shift knob and cut it off that way instead of cutting the shaft. Just thinking out loud again.

RCAF_JP 07-31-2012 02:12 PM

Yeah, in the end I had to dremel the damn thing off. but it looks better with the new shift knob. Pics to follow once my wife gets home with my camera.

The time now is 02:05 AM.