2011 Patriot "popping out of gear" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2011 Patriot "popping out of gear"

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
pitrcer3
2011 MK Patriot 

2011 Patriot "popping out of gear"

So I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or experience with their patriot. I have a 2011 with 28,000 miles on it and I have had the same problem twice in the past month or two. The first time I was simply making a turn out of a gas station and heading up a hill towards my home at 25 mph and noticed the car starting to rev up on the tachometer and as the speedometer began to drop. I quickly pulled over and put the car in park and sat there for a minute and then put the car back and drive and it pulled away just fine. Then yesterday I was pulled out from a red light and getting up to speed on a 35 mph road and felt a slight jerk in the car as if it "popped" out of gear and the car began to rev up again on the tach and the speed starting dropping just like before. I pulled off the road quickly and put it in park, then back into drive and pulled away and it has been ok since then. Its just an odd thing to happen and I'd hate to see if happen if I was trying to merge onto a highway etc.

pitrcer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Very strange for a CVT to do that. You're still under warranty so I would have the dealer see if any codes were thrown (doubtful) and have them check the Trans fluid. Checking the trans fluid also involves checking the Trans fluid temp so it's more than just pulling a dip stick.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
pitrcer3
2011 MK Patriot 

Ok sounds good, I have to get down there soon anyways for some maintenance so I want to see what they think about it.
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

I've been having issues with my CVT for the last 3,000 miles. I took it in once to have it looked at but the dealer didnt have a loaner for me at the time. Mine is going to get fixed is either I take the time to drop it off or it blows up first. First Issue I had was sometimes when I put it in drive and go to press on the gas with my foot off the brake my car would go in reverse. When I get pressure on the gas the front end would jump up and go and a few times the engine cut out.

2nd issue some times I need more speed during lane change or what not and I'll have the gas all the way to the floor and and after about 10sec it would jerk real hard and slowly increase in speed. The new issue I have is I'll be stopped at a light and I'll take off like normal and then the CVT gets stuck somewhere and my rpm's jump to over 4,000 before I can increase into speed.
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtdodge05 View Post
I've been having issues with my CVT for the last 3,000 miles. I took it in once to have it looked at but the dealer didnt have a loaner for me at the time.
It looks like you're "local" to me. Please PM me with your VIN and dealer.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
pitrcer3
2011 MK Patriot 

Yea I had the slipping issue again today while driving and I pulled out and was driving down the road about 25-30 mph and the car just wasnt going forward anymore and it was seemingly in a false neutral or disengaged and thus I pulled over and put it in park and then sat for about a minute and put it in drive and it was worked just fine. I called the dealer to let them know and I have an appt. for Monday morning to just look it over and make sure it didnt throw any codes or anything, but to mostly get it on record incase the issue persists.
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
pitrcer3
2011 MK Patriot 

Just got back from the dealer this morning and they checked everything out and took the Jeep for a spin for a awhile but could not find anything particularly wrong. They did note everything and were able to do the TSB updates to the PCM and TCM.
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I hate intermittent problems that never show up when you're trying to show it to someone. I hope the updates take care of it for you! Good luck!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.