2011 Patriot 2.4L oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2011 Patriot 2.4L oil change

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

2011 Patriot 2.4L oil change

Just thought I would post this as kind of a how to. Doing the oil change is SOO MUCH easier if you take off the plastic "skid plate" underneath the engine. Taking it off gives you a ton more room to work, you dont have to worry about oil sitting on top of the skid plate and collecting dirt, and you can actually get a wrench on the oil filter. It removes with (6) 10mm bolts, 3 front and 3 back, and there are 4 body clips total, 2 in each wheel well, kind of behind the brake caliper and towards the front of the car. Hope this helps someone out

dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

That skid plate is only on the off-road packaged Patriots I believe.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

The new Compasses have that plastic skid plate as well. My wife's is not the off-road package/trail rated, and it has it. I believe its called a splash guard or something along those lines.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Some of the earlier Compass' had only the side shields (like mine) and some had the full shield. So it's a non issue on some and of course the metal skid plates on the FD II are a non issue too. But thanks for offering the tip to those that can use it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Mine has a hole in the plastic splash guard for access to the oil filter and a hole to access the drain plug.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
pitrcer3
2011 MK Patriot 

Yea I have a 2011 2.4L Sport and it has the full skid plate. The first oil change I went to do myself I popped out all the 10mm bolts and then realize the 4 inside the fender's and figured it was just a stupid hassle to do that everytime to change the oil. The cut outs in the skid plate for the drain plug and oil filter are plenty. I can easily reach everything without even jacking up the Jeep and have the oil change in 15 minutes. I do agree though that I get some oil dripped on it and it will collect some dirt. I plan to drop the whole skid plate off this fall and scrub it off good.
pitrcer3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.