Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2011 Compass Break-In Period

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BobKnake 
#1 ·
I didnt' see any information in the owners manual regarding a break in period. Are these engines already broken in?

#2 ·
from what I understand... "Break-In-Periods" are a thing of the past. I have a friend that has worked on cars since the early 60's and has been a service Mgr for 1/2 that time. We talked about this a couple of years ago.
He said, tolerances are tighter now then when he started. So, other than not ripping the snot out of it when you 1st get it... you are good to go..

Of course that was just his opinion. But I trust him.

a case in point for me....
I bought a '97 F-150 4x4 new... 2 days after buying it, I hauled 1500# in the back (4 hours - 1 way)...
and less than a week later, I pulled my car trailer on the same trip with 5000# on it...

I had that truck 13 years and I sold it with 187,000 miles on it... Never had any major issues - just tires, brakes, etc. I never treated that truck any different... It was a truck and it was made to go and haul.
Last I knew, the guy who bought it from me is still driving everyday 120 miles round trip.

I feel the same way with my Patriot. Drive it! Don't baby it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.