Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2010 Patriot Won't take fuel - pump keeps shutting off

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Harrington_10 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Patriot with 82,000 miles on it that has a problem with putting fuel in the tank. It keeps shutting off every few seconds. I know it is a venting problem. I took it to a mechanic and he said it is related to valves in the gas tank ... specifically the roll over valve. He said the tank will have to be replaced and it will cost $1400!

Does anyone have a simple fix for this issue? Any way to free the stuck roll over valve? Also, where exactly is the roll over valve?

I placed a tube down the filler pipe to the tank and could feel something move and thought that my pop the valve open. After I removed it, I went back to the gas station and tried to fill it up again but it did not have any effect ... it still shuts off every few seconds!:frown2:

Anybody else have this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

#2 ·
Jeep has had a lot of issues with its roll over valves. At least with the Jks too. Most just replace the roll over valve it should be in the hose to the tank not the tank or at the tank. Though with yours i have no idea. But i would think Fiat uses as many as the same parts as they can in these. But it dont cost 1400 dollars to fix too. at least it should not.

There are a lot of threads on this for you here it seems you will need a new tank . Fiat......

#3 ·
Gas Tank & Ball Joints

Well, I took it to the dealer to get their opinion and they said the gas tank needed to be replaced too so it is scheduled as soon as they get the new tank in. It will cost $1400 plus tax.:surprise: I am very disappointed since this is not a "wear item".:frown2:

BTW, it does need a driver side lower ball joint as well. Dealer cost with an alignment is $497 plus tax. I am having it done at a local brake and alignment auto repair shop for $238 plus tax, almost half the cost!

Another place estimated $164 but they did not include the alignment. They said it wasn't necessary to do an alignment after this repair (they couldn't do one anyway since they didn't have the equipment). I thought you did but does everyone else think?

#4 · (Edited)
The dealer replaced the tank yesterday and that solved the problem. I can now fill it up quickly without any issues. It cost over $1500 with tax. Still seems like a defect to me and Jeep should have paid for it. Anyway, I got my receipts in case they issue a recall for it in the future ... highly unlikely though.

Also, both lower control arm ball joints were replaced at a local shop for $447 which included an alignment and tax. They put in ones that have a grease fitting. Also replaced the original battery yesterday ... 7 years is pretty good for an OEM battery! Got one at Walmart with a 5 year warranty - 3 years unconditional and two years pro-rated.

#5 ·
I have an older Jeep (2003 Cherokee) and from the day I bought it, it had that same issue! No matter what gas station pump I tried, it continually shut off and wouldn't take gas. The only way to fuel up was to pump extremely slowly and even then it shut off many times! It took forever to get gas!! Also when taking the gas cap off you could hear it hiss, Becasue the tank wasn't venting properly! I took it to a few garages and a dealership and they all said the same thing...that I needed a new valve which was in the gas tank! :( and with the prices quoted, I resigned to the fact that pumping gas would just be a b*tch :) but being a stubborn woman, I got online constantly, reading other posts from people of all cars, trucks, suv's, makes and models with the same issue and 95% of them wrote they were also told they'd need to replace the gas tank. Then about a year ago, I found one small post that changed everything! I took the advice figuring I had nothing to lose, and in 15 minutes the problem was fixed and I've been able to pump gas like a normal person ever since!!! You'll have to forgive me because for one I'm a woman that doesn't work on cars much, and two I'm not quite sure of all the technical part words to describe my fix but I'll try the best I can! There is a cylinder or vent valve (something like that) inside the rear end of the drivers side between the bumper and side of your jeep under a cover that you have to remove. The link said that spiders and bugs are notorious for getting into that venting and making webs and cacoons. When we took the cover off and removed it, what was in it? A huge bug cacoon! We blew it out with an air compressor, hooked it back up...and never have had a problem pumping gas again! My advice to anyone with this issue is before you pay out high dollars for a new gas tank, check that vent area and make sure it's not an easy free fix you can do yourself!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.