2010 Patriot - A/C turns on automagically - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2010 Patriot - A/C turns on automagically

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2010 Patriot - A/C turns on automagically

Hi all...I've looked through the forum and found a few A/C issues on the Patriots. None of them matched the problem I'm having, though.

A dozen times or so since I got it new on Feb/2010 (it now has 20k miles), I'm driving along w/o the A/C on when I suddenly start feeling cold. I checked the switch, the A/C is not on. Yet, the air coming through the vents is freezing! The temp switch is 3 notches or so in the cool area. I press the cool/heat switch, the A/C light turns on, then I click it again, the A/C light turns off. I now have tempered air. This is totally random. Happened today - twice - during my 23 mile return home. It happened once last week (first time in 2011). Before that, it last happened in November (I think).

What do you think is happening? I'm gonna look like a big dufus bringing the Pat into the dealership and they can't duplicate the situation...

Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

All of the late stuff (started in the late '90's I think) will cycle the a/c when it's on defrost so the pump gets lubricated in the winter. If that's not the problem them you may want to visit the dealer. A lot of the Liberty folks have had issues and I believe they have done some mods but I don't know what they did.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep...the switch wasn't on defrost (plain old bi-level vent). Happened once this morning. I'll have to bring it in and hopefully they can dupe it.
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
Yep...the switch wasn't on defrost (plain old bi-level vent). Happened once this morning. I'll have to bring it in and hopefully they can dupe it.
Most newer cars if you have the heater on bi-level and the temperature control between half heat and lower the system will direct warm air to the floor and cool air to the dash vents. Its for the spring when its still cool out but sunny so the driver still has warm feet and cooler upper body. Check the lower heater vents when this happens and see if warm air is coming out.
wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
nwdc10
2010 MK Patriot 

My 2010 Patriot does the same thing, on just vent the A/C will come on, I can hear the compressor cycle and feel and smell the cold air as it starts. I called the dealer and they told me this is normal if the temp or humidity changes from where you are parked to where you're driving. Service adviser told me there's a hi and low pressure side that will cycle the A/C to equalize pressure. Hope he wasn't blowing smoke.
nwdc10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdc10 View Post
My 2010 Patriot does the same thing, on just vent the A/C will come on, I can hear the compressor cycle and feel and smell the cold air as it starts. I called the dealer and they told me this is normal if the temp or humidity changes from where you are parked to where you're driving. Service adviser told me there's a hi and low pressure side that will cycle the A/C to equalize pressure. Hope he wasn't blowing smoke.
the air conditioner comes on with the defroster in every car. that's how you get the fog off the windows. just blowing air on it won't defog them, you need to blow air on them that has had the moisture removed, and it just so happens that's exactly how an air conditioner makes air cold. the problem the OP is having is different.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
nwdc10
2010 MK Patriot 

I think the OP and I are saying the same thing. The air in my Patriot comes on by itself, without the light coming on. This happens when I am on vent not defrost.
nwdc10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdc10 View Post
I think the OP and I are saying the same thing. The air in my Patriot comes on by itself, without the light coming on. This happens when I am on vent not defrost.
sorry, i read normal vent as defroster
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
a/c , fan , mk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.