Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2010 jeep compass rear slide pin seized?

949 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  StrokedWJ 
#1 ·
It's the top slide pin and it's seized. The brake line is right behind the bolt.

How the hell can I remove this bolt without removing the brake line? I noticed it was seized when I was doing the rear brakes. I couldn't rotate the caliper upwards and had to use a pry bar to move it.

I live in Michigan and the salt has probably made the bolt impossible to remove. I heard an open end wrench can strip the head. I have a small propane torch, will this work? I use this torch all the time on suspension bolts.

Can I loosen this bolt enough to where the caliper will come off?

#2 ·
According to the FSM you need to remove the brake line to get that pin out but if you loosen the pin as much as you can there is just enough slack in the line to get it out but leave it in the caliper.

#5 ·
I just did brakes the other day. I didn't have any luck breaking the bolt loose with an open ended wrench...ended up rounding it off. But I figured out that once the caliper assembly was removed, and the brake pads taken out, the outer 1/2 of the caliper bracket will completely slide off of the inner 1/2. That allowed me to grease the slide pins, not sure if will help you if its seized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.