2009 Patriot jumps from "Drive" into 1st intermittently - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2009 Patriot jumps from "Drive" into 1st intermittently

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
WRSisk

2009 Patriot jumps from "Drive" into 1st intermittently

My wife and I traded her 1997 Cherokee in for the "Clunker" deal in exchange for a 2009 Jeep Patriot just over a week ago. Had it 4 days. My wife called me and said that it was making all kinds of noise and had no power. I drove it with her after I got home and sure enough, suddenly, while driving around 25 MPH, it started screaming around 5500 RPM's. I brought it in to the dealer. The next day they said nothing was wrong with it and that we weren't aware of the "Autostick" mode and we were both bumping into the gear shift accidentally. I was PISSED, and told them I wanted a new vehicle, that this one has something wrong with the transmission and it is dangerous for my wife and child to be on the streets with. They swore that they were going to fix the problem and make us happy. They talked me into picking it up and told me that I wasn't fully familiar with the "Autostick" feature. We dropped the rental car off and I pulled out into heavy, fast traffic, in the "Drive" mode and "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" - 5500 RPM in 1st gear going nowhere. I have a CJ7, and over the years have learned how to calmly deal with these situations. I kicked it up 2 gears and headed on down the road with cars honking and brakes screeching. The next day I brought it back to the dealer. On Monday, they called me and said that they had driven it again and that nothing was wrong. We went in to drive with them. I went screaming over curves and speed bumps and nothing. One of the techs took it home that night. The next day, one of the techs called and said that it had popped into 1st gear (6000 RPM's) at 40 MPH on a busy road and that now they could fix it. There have been no scanner readings or computer codes at all. I went in again last night and told the sales manager, AGAIN, that I wanted a new car, that I could not trust them to fix this intermittent problem when they don't know what the problem is and that we are not going to be the "guinea pig" with them changing parts, to see if it was really fixed. He told me that they think it is probably just the gear shift and that Chrysler service reps are coming in tomorrow to help fix the problem.

Sorry this was so long.

Any ideas on the problem?

Thanks

WRSisk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Possibly a new shifter. The auto stick feature is all electronic and that portion could be out of adjustment or not working. If they had it act up for them now they know what to look for. Intermittent problems are a pain to fix or even get to act up sometimes.
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It could be the shifter itself like TheHeilis said or the AutoStick programming or the ECM programming and involving the Throttle Position Sensors but at least the techs saw it and that's half the battle!

I think that many people have bumped the shifter and know what that's all about and it's not that uncommon so that's their first reaction. My wife's WK has the electronic +/- shifter and she will bump hers when she swings her "duffel bag" around to put in the back floor. She says it will get stuck in a gear (she doesn't look to see which one) when she's driving. It's only happened to her twice but not when I'm with her so that's something I need to look at.

I hope they find the problem and fix it to your satisfaction.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
b1llyw
2007 XK Commander 

Good advertisement for a stick shift over an auto/cvt. Don't ease up on them, push it until you get a new vehicle. You don't need to beta test their screw ups.

07 Commander Sport 4x4, 4.7, Sirius Stratus, Factory RAK 6-CD Changer, MP3, Cassette, Superchips
b1llyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is NOT a common problem with CVT's. A good reason to go with the CVT is bad syncros in the 5 speed and the internal clutch slave cylinder that's a PITA to change. Nothing is a 100% perfect all of the time.

Unread 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why is it that any time someone has a problem with their vehicle it goes right to "they better replace my vehicle". Jeez give them a chance to repair the problem.

Don't get me wrong if there is an issue or issues that can't be resolved, well then vehicle replacment may be the answer. I sure am glad I got out of that profession years ago.

Most dealers want to try and please you. That's if they want the customer to return and possibly purchase another vehicle from them.
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
WRSisk

We put 120 miles on the thing and only drove it 3 days. It's obviously a defect that came from the manufacturer. My wife is from Venezuela and has been driving just about a year. As "Gramps" said, the problem could be a bunch of things. If they start changing parts and telling us it's fixed and it's not, she could very easily get out in traffic and get hurt or killed along with my 5 year old. This is a no-brainer. Replace the vehicle and fix this one on their own time. These kind of situations lead to injuries, insurance increases, and big $$$$$ lawsuits.
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's alot more than them just giving you another new car. If that's the way it was they would need another whole inventory for everybody wanting this. They get chances to repair the problem then there is arbutration to go through to look at both sides of the issue at hand before another car is given.

I undestand your feelings about this but it does not work like that at any of the dealers. Have them provide you with a loaner (at no cost) for the mean time. I'm sure the zone rep. will be involved if this can't be resolved.

Just because it could be a "bunch" of things doesn't mean they can't fix it. It appears you have already made your decision of how you want this taken care of but I feel you are going to dissappointed. They too (Dealer) have rights in the "Lemon Law". Be patient but on guard.
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
WRSisk

Understood. We'll see what happens. The Chrysler reps are supposed to come in today.

Thanks
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I hope everything works out good for you.
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
b1llyw
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
This is NOT a common problem with CVT's. A good reason to go with the CVT is bad syncros in the 5 speed and the internal clutch slave cylinder that's a PITA to change. Nothing is a 100% perfect all of the time.
Lifetime powertrain warranty.

07 Commander Sport 4x4, 4.7, Sirius Stratus, Factory RAK 6-CD Changer, MP3, Cassette, Superchips
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1llyw View Post
Lifetime powertrain warranty.
Same with CVT's. What's your point?

Unread 08-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
WRSisk

Latest,

The head of service called yesterday and told me that they took the shift console apart and found some wires that looked "a little chaffed". He said that maybe they could have been grounding out and that he fixed them and that he wasn't sure, but it might be fixed. He said that the only way to see is if we come pick it up and put a bunch of miles on it to see if it does it again. I told him that THEY need to put a bunch of miles on it to see if it does it again and he told me that they need to get us out of the rental car that we have. They are going to drive it today to see if anything happens.

Is it possible that slightly chaffed wires could cause this tranny to jump from "D" to 1st gear?
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, if the wires were shorting to ground or to another wire depending on what the chaffed wire(s) went to. This thing is mostly controlled by voltage. I agree that THEY need to put the miles on it since they will need to see first hand if the problem is gone or still exists. "Looked a little chaffed" sounds strange, either they are chaffed and causing a short or they aren't chaffed. It's kinda like being a little bit pregnant either you is or you isn't.

The only reason I could see the them saying they need to get you out of the rental cat is because they are paying for it or want to get a paying customer into it. Just tell them no problem just as soon as we know that you sloved the problem. If they rush this and end up wrong it would be shame on them.

Stay on them and good luck!
Unread 08-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
b1llyw
2007 XK Commander 

Does your state have a lemon law?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.