2009 Jeep Compass Help! Greatly Appreciate .... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2009 Jeep Compass Help! Greatly Appreciate ....

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
nlroop

2009 Jeep Compass Help! Greatly Appreciate ....

I have a 2009 Jeep Compass, bought it from a Dealer about a year ago. Recently I've had problems with it stalling or dying when stopped. For example, my husband and I were at a drive thru the other day and when we stopped the car just stalled and turned off. Sometimes when sitting at a stop light the car would push forward, almost feeling like someone hit us from behind.

We are not sure what it is. From different things I read, it could be low transmission fluid which we were going to get changed on our next oil change in 1000 miles.

My question is, has anyone ever changed their own Jeep Compass 2009 transmission oil on their own before? On the transmission oil cap it says dealer oil only, but we called them and they wanted to charge us $300 for it. What kind of oil does it really need and can we get it ourselfs? How much do we need? Is there any videos or tutorials to help us with this. We know how to change our oil ourselves, but never our transmission oil and would love to learn. If anyone could provide links or videos that would be great.

From the symptoms I described, if you think it could possibly be anything else, please let me know. Thank you

nlroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Check this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/0...rvice-1012830/
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
aterray

My moms friend just got her dodge services there was a hole in her exhaust it was sucking in air causing the car to just stall and stuff that maybe your problem?
aterray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Your trans requires CVT oil.Valvoline makes a CVT fluid now but not sure if it will work in your CVT trans and it's about $10-$12 per qt.
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Don't run anything but CVT+4. It may be expensive still, but its not as expensive as replacing a transmission.

The Dodge Ram and Dakota owners since 1994, and maybe earlier, up until this very day have learned the hard way that Chrysler automatic transmissions only work well with ATF+4. Anything else ruins them in short order. I wouldn't take the risk to think that the CVT would be any different.

If you want to do some serious research, maybe check out what the Nissan CVT owners use for transmission fluid. Their CVTs are close cousins to ours, since Chrysler had a Nissan subsidiary make the CVTs for them.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.