2008 Patriot starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2008 Patriot starting issue

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
jazyjeep
2008 MK Patriot 

2008 Patriot starting issue

Hoping someone may be able to help me out....I just bought a 2008 Patriot and its having starting issues and the mechanic can't seem to find the problem. It doesn't do it all the time, can be a week or more apart. It turns over for quite awhile and then starts barely just when i'm about to give up. It always starts right after aswell. If anyone has any idea what it could be i'd appreciate some information. Fuel pressure, starter, alternator, and battery have all been checked and diagnostic test has been done.

jazyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Give us some more information. Mileage? Engine? Any check engine light? Whats the outside temperature each time it occurs?
I see you live in Canada so the cold climate may have an effect on it. (just a thought, I know nothing about the Canadian climate, lol)

I know sometimes my 08 Compass can be hard to start on occasion but very seldom does it take my more than 2 tries.
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
jazyjeep
2008 MK Patriot 

It's 4.0L and has 65,000km on it....It doesn't seem to be the temperature because it has happen on really warm days and also cold ones. There also isn't any check engine lights on nor has there ever been. The mechanic also had me turn the key and wait to hear the fuel pump kick in and it always does. Also tried another key incase the battery was bad. Hope that helps and thank you for the reply.
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazyjeep View Post
It's 4.0L
I could very well be wrong but...I'm not sure the patriots came out with a 4.0 in 2008. Like I said, I could be completely wrong, but that sounded odd to me. Maybe they're different up there in Canada? Care to double check?
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
JeepCares

I'm thinking it's probably the 2.4L engine.

jazyjeep - An easy way to check is to look at the 8th digit in the VIN -

0 = 2.0L I4 CYL DOHC 16 Valve Dual VVT Gasoline engine
W = 2.4L I4 CYL DOHC 16 Valve Dual VVT Gasoline engine

You don't need to have the Jeep handy - the registration or insurance paperwork should have the VIN.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
jazyjeep
2008 MK Patriot 

I think maybe Lee is right...but neither of those letter are on the vin. It is the north edition and i know its 2wd. I'm sorry I am a woman lol not sure where to look for it.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
JeepCares

Quote:
I think maybe Lee is right...but neither of those letter are on the vin. It is the north edition and i know its 2wd. I'm sorry I am a woman lol not sure where to look for it.
Do you mind posting the First 8 letters of your VIN? Just that - no more?
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
jazyjeep
2008 MK Patriot 

The first 8 digits are 1J8FT280. It says cyl:04 on the ownership if that helps.
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
jazyjeep
2008 MK Patriot 

I'm sorry i think i'm an idiot...I thought you meant "O" sorry so that means its a 2.0L right?
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
JeepCares

Quote:
I'm sorry i think i'm an idiot...I thought you meant "O" sorry so that means its a 2.0L right?
Yes, 2.0L I4 CYL DOHC 16 Valve Dual VVT Gasoline engine.
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
jazyjeep
2008 MK Patriot 

Does anyone know what it might be? Or know what I should do next?
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

If it turns over for awhile before starting, then likely the starter, alternator and battery are fine. Almost no need to check those. It sound like a fuel or spark issue to me., but Im no mechanic. If you checked fuel pressure already, then you can ruleout filter or pump too. Have you checked the spark plugs? Maybe they are all carboned up and not firing consistently? Perhaps a failing or plugged catalytic converter too? (may be under warranty). In the states i think we all get a 80,000 mile warranty on those.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Is the check engine light on?
I would put a code reader/scanner on it and see what you can find out. Most modern computers throw pending codes as well...
Think of it this way, you need at least the following for a vehicle to run:
Spark
Fuel
Oxygen
Compression

One is obviously missing at start up.
In my previous vehicle mechanic experience a fuel pump ether works or it doesn't... And to my knowledge jeep products for the past several years have a non serviceable filter inside the tank... Its part of the fuel pump... I can also say I have never had an issue with fuel on any jeep I have ever had. Sensors and EVAP systems is a different story.
Also as mentioned before I believe a clogged cat can cause all sorts of weird problems though I have never had that issue.
Put a scanner on there and maybe you can get a better idea.
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I bet it's spark plugs. If it's like most new cars, it has to error numerous times in a row to throw a code. My Volvo had to have the same error 4 start cycles in a row to throw a code, so for something like a fouled plug that may spark sometimes and not others, it might be tough to get it on multiple starts. Like once it's warm it works fine. Seems too early for a catalytic converter to fail. I mean 65,000 km that's like what 500 miles? (I joke I joke). But they should last 80-100k at least. Does your Jeep have a block heater installed? Mine starts and runs way better in the morning if I left it plugged in all night.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.