2008 Patriot... clunk noise when accelerating... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2008 Patriot... clunk noise when accelerating...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
burrell9
2008 MK Patriot 

2008 Patriot... clunk noise when accelerating...

i just noticed this real low clunking noise when I accelerated today with the radio off almost sounds like a small rattle... taking it in to be looked @ in about a week... it doesn't do it all the time just sometimes and you can only really hear it when the radio is off... really only happens when you give it a good jolt coming out of a rolling stop...could it be that whacky cvt engaging i dont know...never noticed it before but i dont usually drive with the radio off.

burrell9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
calibastard
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrell9 View Post
i just noticed this real low clunking noise when I accelerated today with the radio off almost sounds like a small rattle... taking it in to be looked @ in about a week... it doesn't do it all the time just sometimes and you can only really hear it when the radio is off... really only happens when you give it a good jolt coming out of a rolling stop...could it be that whacky cvt engaging i dont know...never noticed it before but i dont usually drive with the radio off.
Sounds more like the lower control arm or tie rods again.

The Caliber/Compass/Patrios have had issues with that lately. I had all of it redone a few weeks ago on my Caliber, and some people on here reported tie rods failing and others (on CaliberForumz) about lower control arms bolts recalls.

I'd go have that checked before it becomes serious and even hazardous.
calibastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
victory red
2012 JK Wrangler 

look into this... http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Patriot/...nse_08070a.pdf
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
burrell9
2008 MK Patriot 

i bought the car in June has 4k miles on it tie rods gone bad already?... wow that would be something.. had inner tie rods go bad on a 2002 intrepid when i turned the wheel it would just feel like turning a stripped bolt and it would just pop horrible sound and it wore the tires down like crazy but these would be outer tie rods right?
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
horsey2k

try to pull the seat belt when you hear the sound again. I was in the same situation, I found that that sound came from the thing where you plug in your seat belt
horsey2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
That was one of the symptoms that took me into the shop two weeks ago. two bad Tie Rod Ends and two new LCA's.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
burrell9
2008 MK Patriot 

it's only when the car comes down from engaging the cvt... that little downshift you get and then when you accelerate it kinda sounds like a small piece of metal hitting plastic.. it's going to the dealership on monday i took everything out the car it definitely sounds like it's coming from under the hood or the suspension... it's not loud @ all just bothers me... whats an LCA?
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
it's only when the car comes down from engaging the cvt... that little downshift you get and then when you accelerate it kinda sounds like a small piece of metal hitting plastic.. it's going to the dealership on monday i took everything out the car it definitely sounds like it's coming from under the hood or the suspension... it's not loud @ all just bothers me... whats an LCA?
lower control arm
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
burrell9
2008 MK Patriot 

ok the noise is coming from the transmission i dropped the car from neutral to drive and it made the same noise not sure if this a normal shifting noise or not but like i said i never noticed it before..
Unread 11-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
burrell9
2008 MK Patriot 

just got back from the dealership the guy was nice told me alot of stories about people bringing in patriots and compasses about the cvt saying it wasn't shifting noises where happening etc... i took the car on a drive with him he said it was a normal shifting noise and that the car was driving fine... i never thought the car was driving bad or anything just a noise I never heard before he looked @ the tie rods and all said they were fine... oh on a side note he said that he called chrysler one time and they asked him if he could hear a noise on a patriot over regular radio play one time and he told them no... they then proceeded to tell him that they didn't deem it a problem then...
Unread 11-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
axlewhine

I have an '08 CVT Patriot with a similar problem, maybe the same as yours: 8000 miles, repetitive rattle in gear particularly 1500-2000 rpm, can hear only with radio off - sound like a large but quiet cricket is underhood! Does not happen when car in neutral. Does happen when brake torquing in gear up to that speed range with vehicle not moving. The dealer could not hear it, so I took them on a drive and demonstrated the condition. It's easy to overlook this noise. To me it's not the noise itself that is bothersome but that it may be an indication of something out of adjustment and/or about to go wrong in a bigger way. They are going to look at it again tomorrow.
axlewhine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.