2008 Patriot Brakes/Traction Assist problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2008 Patriot Brakes/Traction Assist problem

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
bojimuncher
2008 MK Patriot 

2008 Patriot Brakes/Traction Assist problem

Heya all,

Proud owner of a 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport that I purchased from an auction a cpl weeks ago.
Loving the Jeep so far, but I have the misfortune of living in Winnipeg, Canada right now and whenever I need to brake hard on the ice/snow the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and I can no longer control the vehicle. One time when doing a lane change everything cut out and I had to spin the Jeep 180 degrees (only going about 30mph) to stop from hitting the person in front of me.

From what I read so far that looks to be the Traction Assist "Feature"? I have tried turning it off, by having the 'ESP OFF' button simply pushed and also by holding the 'ESP OFF' button for 5 seconds with the car in part to get the "ESPOFF" notice in the panel. but the problem still persists either way.

Is there any way to disable it even more, or is this not a traction assist problem and I'm dealing with something else instead?

Thanks for any and all help,

Stan

bojimuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojimuncher
Heya all,

whenever I need to brake hard on the ice/snow the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and I can no longer control the vehicle.

Stan
Have you tried not braking hard on ice and snow? This is a typical problem of every car I have ever driven, ever.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
bojimuncher
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Have you tried not braking hard on ice and snow? This is a typical problem of every car I have ever driven, ever.
Are you suggesting just tell people that I cannot stop when needed and to kindly ask them to not cut in front of me? Maybe by using an informative bumper sticker?

This is not just a normal bad brakes type of thing, it feels like the ABS fails and there is no power to the ignition.

Stan
bojimuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

It was a joke. At the irony of braking hard on snow and ice then being surprised you can't control the car. Happens to me nearly every time I do that on ice.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

The ESP doesn't have to do with the brakes, but with the engine power to the wheels. Basically, if the vehicle detects one of the wheels is over-spinning relative to the others (as would happen if it hit some ice), then it would cut engine power to that wheel. Useful for regular driving, but not so great if you're stuck and trying to get out, or are off-roading. Jeep recommends turning it off in those situations.

I don't really know what the issue is with your vehicle, though. I've braked hard on snow before and felt the brakes clamp on and off a few times in quick succession, presumably in response to the wheels locking and slipping, but I didn't have any issues with vehicle control.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.