2008 Jeep Patriot Alternator/Transmission issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2008 Jeep Patriot Alternator/Transmission issue

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
teamvarsity87

2008 Jeep Patriot Alternator/Transmission issue

I just had the transmission replaced in my 2008 Jeep Patriot (limited edition, 2.0l 4-cyl) a month ago under warranty due to the transmission slipping and making a whining noise. This week I noticed the same issues (slipping/whining noise), however not as bad as before. Took it to the dealer who claims the alternator is bad. I then took the Jeep to AutoZone and hooked it up to the meter. The readings on the meter seemed fine at 14.4 - 14.5 amps. Also, I can not hear any noises indicating the bearing is going bad. Was not sure if anyone had any similar issues to this. Any help would be appreciated.

teamvarsity87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Ive heard of both. Trannies and Alts whining.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
teamvarsity87

I guess my main concern is whether or not it could still be the alternator if it is putting out 14.5 amps. I called the dealer back today and they are still maintaining that the alternator is bad. They are saying it is a lose bearing. I have no issue changing the alternator if needed (although I am not paying them $480 to do it, I will change it myself), just wanted to make sure I am not getting screwed by the dealer.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Well yeah a bad bearing wouldnt have an effect on output until it seizes.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
teamvarsity87

Ok, thanks for your help! I just wanted to make sure.
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
JeepCares

Any codes pulled by the dealer? What did they do to diagnose it?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
teamvarsity87

The dealer has not been very helpful throughout this entire process. We actually just called a little bit ago to get some additional info and were told the dealer only listened to the alternator with some type of stethoscope. They did not remove the alternator and inspect it. They said that the transmission was not giving them any codes and as car as they were concerned it was not a transmission related problem.

Also, the service rep said that we "only requested them to find the source of the noise", even though we specifically wrote what the issue was on the overnight drop envelope. We were also disappointed that we were charged a $57 diagnostic fee for this as we feel a transmission slipping is a powertrain warranty issue regardless of the cause.When we asked about having the fee refunded, we were told this was not an option.

The service rep then told us that this was normal behavior for a jeep and that we were just not use to it yet. However, this issue did not exist for the first 3 -4 years of ownership (we purchased the vehicle new). Also, when we originally discussed the issue with the dealer( yesterday) they told us the alternator was causing the problem with the transmission and now they are saying the transmission is acting normally?

Last edited by teamvarsity87; 08-15-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Take it to an independent shop to verify the dealer's diagnostics. Having repairs or second opinions at another shop shouldn't void any warranty you may still have. Good luck.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.