2008 Jeep Compass Rallye Edition (Clunking in the rear) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2008 Jeep Compass Rallye Edition (Clunking in the rear)

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Matthew1785

2008 Jeep Compass Rallye Edition (Clunking in the rear)

Good afternoon.

I dont post here much. But im having an irritating problem with my 2008 jeep compass. I took it to the dealership a few days ago due to clunking in the rear. The told me it was the struts and the strut plates on both sides.. I got the car back today and its still making a clunking noise.

The clunking noise happens only when i make a sharp turn and it literally sounds like a clunk, clunk noise. What else could it be that would cause that noise. its driving me nuts. My only other guess is it could be sway bar and or the sway bar bushings? I have a receipt from the dealership of the parts they ordered and replaced..

Please someone give me some insight its driving me nuts!

Matthew1785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This only applies to '09 's but is worth looking at http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...onse_09057.pdf

I've also heard of the rear control arm bushings "walking out" which usually causes a squeak but in theory could cause a clunk too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Matthew1785

Thanks Gramps.

I showed them the TSB and they said that there is a difference between the 08-09's suspension

I took back to the dealership and had the mechanic who worked on it, test drive the car with me, and he wants to dismiss it as the plastic in the wheel well shifting with weight of the car.. I can tell you right now i honestly dont think thats the cause.. I could drive the car at 10-15 miles an hour and STILL hear the clunking in the rear, it sounds as if IMO it might be muffler mounts or the exhaust moving.. but thats more like a rattling i would assume. the sound i hear is a clunking sound as if something is shifting side to side

Does anyone has a layout of the rear suspension of this model?
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

Once owned a Dodge Caravan with a similar clunking sound. Turned out it was a tool bouncing around in the unibody cavity. Drove me nuts. I was lucky my mechanic was able to isolate and quiet it. Hope yours is something easier. Good luck!
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
snood
2007 MK Compass 

When I turn a tight left I can hear a horrid noise like a spring stretching, same situation as you, the dealer doesn't know nor do they car. I can tell you however, that I wouldnt be shocked if it was the rear control arms like gramp mentioned. I may bring this up next time I make an appointment after I get new brakes on so they can stop blaming it on them.
Unread 06-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
TedH

Have them check out the rear Toe Links semi common problem with the MK's and PM's
TedH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Steiner
2007 MK Compass 

Good day, I had the same problem. It turn out to be the free play of the muffler's isolators or rubbers that was to great, and was hitting the tow package installed on my Compass. To resolve the problem, I grinded the corner that was too close to the itch mounting plate. Also, make sure your isolators are all in good condition.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Matthew1785

Incase anyone care's that clunking in the rear was caused by the bushing in the rear upper control arms.. they were replaced last week, now i have a new problem.. knocking at low speeds in the rear

Tags
compass , rallye , rear clunk , rear noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.