2008 Compass Rallye pulls to right ONLY with passenger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2008 Compass Rallye pulls to right ONLY with passenger

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Kappy
2008 MK Compass 

2008 Compass Rallye pulls to right ONLY with passenger

I'm having an issue with my compass pulling to the right, but it only seems to pull or go right when I have a passenger. I had the passenger side ball joint replaced a few months ago and had it aligned at the dealership (mistake). After the aligned it the first time it pulled to the left. I took it back and they "corrected" it and it pulled to the right. So I took it to my local meineke (maybe bigger mistake? lol) and they "corrected" the alignment, however it still pulled to the right slightly less than before. I took it back to them and they corrected, claiming it was still slightly off. Everything seemed pretty good, however I notice driving with passengers it still pulls to the right (I usually am driving alone). Then when I drive by myself it drives normal.

Could this still be an alignment issue, or do you think something else? Shocks are pretty much new, replaced them last summer and it drove fine. Springs seemed okay at that time as well.

Also, I know I have a radial tire pull in at least 1 tire. When I bought the compass used it had new tires on it and when I went to rotate I discovered the pull. I have tried swapping tires around on the vehicle to change the direction of the pull, but really it only pulls right when I have passengers.

Any ideas? If it is an alignment, I'll just get it aligned again somewhere else when I get new tires. I'm just afraid it could be something worse or the stealership didn't install the ball joint right.

Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Did the mechanics who did the alignments provide you with a printout of the specs before and after the alignment? Sears does this and they've always corrected my pulls well. Recently my 2011 Patriot was pulling, ended up being a front Toe issue. The factory tolerance was like 00 to +.2 ,and mine was -.2

Radial pull will also do it. Had that in my Volvo. New tires fixed it.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Kappy
2008 MK Compass 

They did provide the sheet and it seemed legit after meineke aligned. I plan on getting another alignment when I get new tires (still have decent tread on current tires). Maybe hanging brake or e-brake?
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Without the specs where your compass is at right now it's impossible to tell you what could be wrong or why it pulls.
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
however I notice driving with passengers it still pulls to the right (I usually am driving alone). Then when I drive by myself it drives normal. ...

I have tried swapping tires around on the vehicle to change the direction of the pull, but really it only pulls right when I have passengers.

Any ideas? ...
To avoid the maybe delicate direct question I ask instead:
does Compass pull to the right when the passenger usually sitting on the front passenger seat sits behind the driver?
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Busmaster2

Not to be indelicate, but is your passenger overweight? Is it possible your axle is overloaded?
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Kappy
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urr

To avoid the maybe delicate direct question I ask instead:
does Compass pull to the right when the passenger usually sitting on the front passenger seat sits behind the driver?
When a passenger sits up front next to me and if there is a passenger in the rear seats on the passenger side it pulls more.
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Kappy
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2
Not to be indelicate, but is your passenger overweight? Is it possible your axle is overloaded?
Happens with various passengers and various sizes. Heavier than me, lighter than me. I'd say heavier the passenger, more it pulls.
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Urr

Sounds like something technical is on the edge, and even slighter extra weight on that side causes the pull...
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Kappy
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urr
Sounds like something technical is on the edge, and even slighter extra weight on that side causes the pull...
I hope it's nothing too serious or it can wait until I get the tires changed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.