Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2007 patriot rear diff explosion at 53k

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jnkyrdg04 
#1 ·
Yeah, I know...the wife has put on 53k already but dang...wasnt expecting this. I was coming to a stop and heard a grinding sound, followed by some jerks and loud clunks. Almost thought I ran over something, but didnt remember seeing anything in the road and it was daylight out. Backed up then forward and same thing. Finally put it in reverse and backed into parking lot on side of road...and there it was laying in a pool of gear oil....the back half of the case of the Rear Diff. I missed out on lifetime powertrain by a few months, but I did get the 75k warranty thank god.

#4 ·
pics soon...was covered under the extra warranty I purchased. They paid me 1590.00 to purchase a new one and pay for the labor. I put a used one with 5k miles on it myself and pocketed the rest. Basically the center shaft of the rearend is held in place by a roll pin. For some odd reason it sheard or came loose which made the center pin drop down letting the spider gear rotate out and grenade the rear end. The rear diffs were on backorder so this might be a problem, or not that big of a problem and just not many in demand. I missed the liftetime drivetrain warranty by 3 months of my purchase....which I guess after I purchased the warranty and the profit I made it came out even.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.