Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2007 Patriot with clunk

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  miketmx 
#1 ·
hey guys,

my g/f has about 43 K on her patriot and I have noticed when pulling it in and out of the drive way there's a clunk.....she has finally noticed it as well.

no leak from the rack and pinion.... i had her shake the steering wheel, no noticeable play in either tie rod, but you can hear the knock/clunk sound when you shake the wheel.

also, if you put your hand on the tie rod, you can feel the knock/clunk

is that the whole rack ?? or just differed feeling from the tie rods ?
has anyone had to replace tie rods and or the rack yet ???
if so, how many miles ??

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Tie rods, lower control arms and lower ball joints at about 50K on mine. I've heard of others much earlier. Try to find some MOOG replacements, much better parts with grease fittings and everything. I haven't heard of the rack being a problem except loose on the mounts.

#4 ·
It was a cold day in January and I had slid sideways off of the road from a dead stop. Some people were stuck and I had slowed down to go around them and asked if they needed help. Then I found out that we were all sitting on about an inch of ice. When I went to start back up I went straight sideways into a snow filled ditch. To make a long story short I let insurance and the dealer take care of it. However, the plan is to buy the Moog parts and have them available for the next time and I'll do it myself. Except for the alignment, it's having the right tools and some heavy manual labor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.