1. Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions.
WINDSHIELD SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Do not operate the vehicle within 24 hours of windshield installation. It takes at least 24 hours for urethane adhesive to cure. If it is not cured, the windshield may not perform properly in an accident.
Urethane adhesives are applied as a system. Use glass cleaner, glass prep solvent, glass primer, PVC (vinyl) primer and pinch weld (fence) primer provided by the adhesive manufacturer. If not, structural integrity could be compromised.
DaimlerChrysler does not recommend glass adhesive by brand. Technicians should review product labels and technical data sheets, and use only adhesives that their manufactures warrant will restore a vehicle to the requirements of FMVSS 212. Technicians should also insure that primers and cleaners are compatible with the particular adhesive used.
Be sure to refer to the urethane manufacturer's directions for curing time specifications, and do not use adhesive after its expiration date.
Vapors that are emitted from the urethane adhesive or primer could cause personal injury. Use them in a well-ventilated area.
Skin contact with urethane adhesive should be avoided. Personal injury may result.
Always wear eye and hand protection when working with glass.
Protect all painted and trimmed surfaces from coming in contact with urethane or primers.
Be careful not to damage painted surfaces when removing moldings or cutting urethane around windshield
2. Remove rear view mirror.
3. If the vehicle is equipped with either the electrochromic (automatic dimming) or the telematic (hands-free phone) mirror option, disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
4. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the electrochromic mirror takeout and connector (1) and/or the telematic mirror takeout and connector (2) of the headliner wire harness from the connector receptacle on the back (windshield side) of the mirror housing (3).
5. Remove the set screw (3) that secures the rear view mirror (2) to the support bracket/button (1) on the inside of the windshield glass.
6. Slide the rear view mirror upward far enough to disengage it from the support bracket/button.
7. Remove the wiper arms (2).
8. Lift the front wiper arm (2) to its over-center position to hold the wiper blade (1) off of the glass and relieve the spring tension on the wiper arm to pivot shaft connection.
9. Carefully pry the plastic nut cap (4) off of the pivot end of the wiper arm.
10. Remove the nut (3) that secures the wiper arm to the wiper pivot shaft (5).
The use of a battery terminal puller when removing the front wiper arm is NOT recommended as this may damage the front wiper arm.
11. Use a slight rocking action to disengage the front wiper arm pivot end from the pivot shaft and remove the wiper arm.
12. Remove the cowl grille.
13. Remove the hood seal (4).
14. Remove the screws (3) and remove the panel (2).
15. Using a windshield cut-out wire separate the adhesive.
1 - T-HANDLE
2 - WINDSHIELD ADHESIVE
3 - COUNTER SUPPORT
4 - CUTTING WIRE
16. Carefully remove windshield.