2007 Jeep Compass Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Jeep Compass Issue

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
bazarsmash

2007 Jeep Compass Issue

So there is this horrible rasping noise that sounds like it's coming from one of the pulleys. I believe it could be the one connected to the AC compressor because when I turn on my AC I hear another noise on top of that. AC works great, compass runs great, but that noise is horrible. I found a couple diagrams of the pulley system and I hope to determine which one is actually making the noise. Anyone have any suggestions??

bazarsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The idler pulley is most often the noisy one but it could be the A/C clutch, that can make the kind of noise you describe. What year and how many miles?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Jennsvoboda
2008 MK Compass 

I had the same problem and had the idler pulley and tensioner pulley replaced and the noise didn't stop. I'm taking it to another mechanic this week to figure out what exactly the problem might be.
Jennsvoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

In my experience an idler pulley is usually a wine or whistle or is locked right up. AC clutch/ pulley makes a grinding or rattling noise.
You can check the idler pulley pretty easy, just take it off and stick it on your finger and spin it. It should spin freely and feel smooth. If its loose and catches or doesn't feel right then replace. The idler pulleys are cheap.
If it turns out to be an AC pulley issue that will be more in-depth.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.