2007 Jeep Compass -- clunk sound - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Jeep Compass -- clunk sound

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

I'd much rather NOT drive it until I get it looked at/fixed. I feel over-paranoid about it, but since I am chauffeur to two young children, the idea of something happening to the Jeep with them in it scares me.

snb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

I should add that I have no steering problems and alignment seems fine (I had one front end alignment a couple of years ago, after I hit one of the potholes on our road). Other than the horrible clunking noises, my Jeep acts fine. Also, as I have noted before, the clunking seems to do its worst for when I am driving, not when my husband is in the Jeep to hear it. :\ Since it doesn't make the noise all the time (made it once, maybe twice at braking on our dinner trip tonight, whereas this morning/afternoon, it was near constant when driving and braking), I do hope the mechanics can hear/experience it in order to get a good idea of what is going on.
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

We took my Jeep to church yesterday morning. It had the usual soft thump/clunk after braking, but only twice. It made no other noise until we got close to church, then when we pulled into the nice, smooth parking lot, that horrible "something's about to fall out" noise happened, and how. It even made the noise on the passenger side when I got out of the Jeep (and no, I am not an oversized person). I had my husband take it to the shop today to have it looked at. He said the guys looked and saw nothing loose on the front end when they did the oil change, but they kept it most of the day, looked at it, drove it around, and only were able to reproduce a soft sound a couple of times, nothing like what my dad, my husband, and I have heard. I should be happy but I am still wondering what's going on. The shop owner said that if I am driving around and that bad noise starts up again, to come to the shop and have them listen to it. He also said it may be struts/shocks (can't remember which), but he wouldn't feel right charging us to replace them and that not be the problem, when he's not even sure that is what it is. Good to know they are honest like that.
Unread 09-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

I am still experiencing the problem. Depending on the day, the noise is not so severe; other days (like today), it's horrible. The clunk is still hit-or-miss when I apply the brakes, but when it does clunk, it is loud and can be felt through the brake pedal. It still clunks when just driving, but usually only after I have been on a very bumpy road or rough parking lot (like the one at my youngest's day care). Today I hit a small pothole in the road right at the edge of our driveway when pulling in to the driveway. I thought the whole brake pedal system was going to fall through the floor. I am getting used to hearing the occasional clunk and am not as bothered by it, but the loud clunks/thumps/bumps like that scare me.
Unread 09-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #20
BJohnson81

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post
I am still experiencing the problem. Depending on the day, the noise is not so severe; other days (like today), it's horrible. The clunk is still hit-or-miss when I apply the brakes, but when it does clunk, it is loud and can be felt through the brake pedal. It still clunks when just driving, but usually only after I have been on a very bumpy road or rough parking lot (like the one at my youngest's day care). Today I hit a small pothole in the road right at the edge of our driveway when pulling in to the driveway. I thought the whole brake pedal system was going to fall through the floor. I am getting used to hearing the occasional clunk and am not as bothered by it, but the loud clunks/thumps/bumps like that scare me.
It sounds exactly like my situation with the caliber mounting bolts. It was sheared off so you could not tell. Then the other finally went.
BJohnson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnson81 View Post
It sounds exactly like my situation with the caliber mounting bolts. It was sheared off so you could not tell. Then the other finally went.
Would my husband (who has a decent amount of mechanical knowledge) be able to do this on his own? Would it be advisable to change the whole caliper at the same time (hoping not)? Thanks for answering all my questions.
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #22
BJohnson81

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post

Would my husband (who has a decent amount of mechanical knowledge) be able to do this on his own? Would it be advisable to change the whole caliper at the same time (hoping not)? Thanks for answering all my questions.
Easy to check, just like changing pads. Take the caliper off the rotor and check the mounting bracket. It shouldn't move
BJohnson81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.