2007 Jeep Compass -- clunk sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Jeep Compass -- clunk sound

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Jeep Compass -- clunk sound

I began hearing a clunk on my 2007 Jeep Compass about a week ago, maybe two. The clunk would happen after I came to a stop. I'd hear the normal (to me) noise from my brakes (which I cannot describe) when I'd stop, followed by a loud clunk after I completed the stop. Some days I would hear the noise every time I stopped; days like today, I only heard it when I at one stop -- when came to a stop in a parking lot. I also heard what sounded like a clunk (or thud) when I went over a couple of small bumps. It was the same clunking sound as when I come to a stop (I also get a squeaking noise when I go over most bumps, but I'm not as concerned with that).

I have been reading up on what could cause the noise and have read it could be anything from the brake calipers to tie rods, sway bar, or control arms. Well, that's just dandy. I certainly cannot afford to put my Jeep in the shop to have it looked at, but my husband and a nephew who have worked on their own vehicles plenty of times will hopefully look at my Jeep tonight. It would be nice to give them some idea of what to look at, and also get an idea of what I should replace, if anything. I would assume that at 97,000 miles, there will be at least one thing that needs to be replaced/changed (the obvious brake pads, oil, tires, and wipers aside).

Please advise as to what might be the cause, what my husband and nephew should look at, and, if it is possible for them to do the work themselves. Thanks in advance!

snb77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
miscrap

Junk in the trunk.
miscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

Really? I don't think so. It's coming from the front, and yesterday afternoon, the sound seemed isolated to the front right. In fact, I thought something was about to fall out/down when I came to a stop once, as the noise was so loud. Husband did not have a chance to look at it yesterday, so he's driving it today to see if he can figure out what is going on.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
louthmale

Welcome to the clunk club !!!! My 2012 compass is back in the garage today for the fifth time with the same noise. So far they replaced lower control arms track rod ends and the entire steering rack but to no avail. And to top it off now I have a rattle in the boot. I'm starting to really dislike my jeep
louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

Oh gee, great. I guess that's a good sign, because it may not be anything too serious? I have two small boys so when I heard the clunking noise yesterday, the big one, I had a fear something was going to break while they are in the Jeep with me. Husband took off the front tires, checked things out. There is nothing loose that he could see. We took the Jeep for a test run down our (bumpy) road, and he did a lot of brake checks (like 10 of them in a little over a mile drive). One time we heard a soft thump/clunk, but that was it. I am glad that the noise isn't there, but paranoid me still isn't happy. Again, if it's nothing too serious that will make me lose control of the Jeep or anything, I guess I could get used to it.
Unread 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

And ... the noise is back. I heard it the same places I heard it yesterday -- stopping at the red light by my son's school, and all throughout the parking lot (which isn't that much worse than the road we live on), and again when I stopped in a parking spot. This time it was softer and at times, it sounded like a double clunk/thump. I did not hear it on the main road on the way back home (but so much road noise, I probably couldn't have heard it anyway), but once I got on our road, I heard it every time I hit a bump.

So, again, what could it be?!
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Sounds like a suspension issue. Sway bar, toe rods (these made a clunking noise only on certain pot holes for myself also which I had to replace and only can tell when lifted on a rack for this model), ball joints, control arms to name a few.
DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

Oh joy. I need to have an oil change and car inspection soon, so I will ask the place how much they will charge to check all of those out while they have my Jeep lifted.
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
miscrap

Check out the "07 Patriot toe link" thread.
miscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

And it doesn't make any noise when you take off, putting the forces in the other direction? Usually something that is loose will make noise in both directions.
Unread 08-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the responses. My husband found a loose air intake connector before he took it to the mechanics, and afterwards did not hear the noise. He assumed it was fixed and so we did not have it looked at. It sounded fine when I first started driving it on Saturday (he took it in Friday), but began making the noise again after I had reached my destination. There was an almost continuous clunk/thump all the way home, so instead of fretting about it more since I knew it was still there, I just blasted the radio to drown out the noise. We drove it to church yesterday morning and I took it to the grocery store today. In both instances, the sound happened maybe once on the original drive, and a lot of noise on the return drive home. It did not happen at every stop or over every bump, but it still happened. Once today there was a slight noise (not the same, but very similar) when I accelerated after being at a complete stop, but that was it. Overall, I'd say it sounds like there is something loose that randomly decides to flop around and make as much noise as possible, but only for me. I'm willing to spend the nominal amount of money to have the mechanics give it a good looking over to see what's going on, even if they don't find anything. My husband, however, has determined that it is nothing major, the car drives fine, tires are evenly worn out, et cetera. He thinks it could just be shocks/struts, but I (the non expert that I am, obviously) wouldn't think that a clunking noise could be made from bad shocks/struts ... could it?
Unread 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
BJohnson81

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post
Thanks for the responses. My husband found a loose air intake connector before he took it to the mechanics, and afterwards did not hear the noise. He assumed it was fixed and so we did not have it looked at. It sounded fine when I first started driving it on Saturday (he took it in Friday), but began making the noise again after I had reached my destination. There was an almost continuous clunk/thump all the way home, so instead of fretting about it more since I knew it was still there, I just blasted the radio to drown out the noise. We drove it to church yesterday morning and I took it to the grocery store today. In both instances, the sound happened maybe once on the original drive, and a lot of noise on the return drive home. It did not happen at every stop or over every bump, but it still happened. Once today there was a slight noise (not the same, but very similar) when I accelerated after being at a complete stop, but that was it. Overall, I'd say it sounds like there is something loose that randomly decides to flop around and make as much noise as possible, but only for me. I'm willing to spend the nominal amount of money to have the mechanics give it a good looking over to see what's going on, even if they don't find anything. My husband, however, has determined that it is nothing major, the car drives fine, tires are evenly worn out, et cetera. He thinks it could just be shocks/struts, but I (the non expert that I am, obviously) wouldn't think that a clunking noise could be made from bad shocks/struts ... could it?
I had a caliper mounting bolt break ???? and it did all the things you have been describing. Until one day it finally snapped loose and would lock up every time I hit the brakes
BJohnson81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
louthmale

Ok jeep back from the garage today. They replaced the anti roll bar bushes. Big improvement on the journey home. Still couldn't cure the rattle in the boot area though
louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

We are taking the Jeep in on Monday. The past two days, but especially today, the noise has been a lot worse. It not only clunks when I push on the brake/come to a complete stop, but it makes a noise when I come off of the brake/push on the accelerator. Then the "something's about to fall out" noise started again, again on the right side. I was in a lot of stop-and-go traffic today, which I feel instigated the noise issue. Even on smooth roads, I thought something on the right side of my Jeep was about to fall completely out. It unnerved me big time. My dad was in the Jeep with me and heard it too, but only offered a "it's probably okay to drive, but you should get it checked out" comment. Nice. At least I had a witness to the sounds as my husband could not get it to repeat the noises this evening. *sigh* I will update when we know something, if we even get an answer. Thanks again for all who have replied.
Unread 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Same thing for me. Tie rods and control arms. My mechanic said I was lucky the wheels stayed on..no joke..they were shredded. Don't drive it till you get it fixed for your safety. Don't let me alarm you..just being cautious from personal experience.
DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.