2007 compass won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 compass won't start

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
tweeks
2007 MK Compass 

2007 compass won't start

good morning, i am having issues with my compass. i tried to start it and the lights and panel come on but all i get is a clicking sound. a mechanic friend told me to switch out the starter relay. bought the RY612T relay and the only problem is I can't find the starter relay. it isn't in the TIPM box or the box in the fender well. i called a jeep dealership and they told me the compass doesn't have a starter relay and i should google to find out what the problem is! am i crazy?

tweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Sometimes in the haste of trying to diagnose problems I/we put on blinders and miss the obvious.

The "lights on/clicking starter" is often a symptom of simply a weak battery. Either it is old and wearing out, or something caused it to become discharged.

This clicking sound can also occur due to bad battery connections at the terminals. They might appear perfectly clean, but sometimes a thin layer of oxidation develops between the battery post and wire terminal.

Always start with the simple fixes. Loosen and remove both battery terminals and clean them very well with sandpaper or terminal cleaner. If that doesn't solve your problem, either charge the battery or take it somewhere and have them load test it.

After that, there are too many things to start checking, but google will give you lots of ideas, depending how mechanically inclined you are.

I can't tell you how many times I have jumped to a diagnostic conclusion (i.e, mechanic friend "told me"), only to discover I over looked an obvious simple fix.

Best of luck to you.
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

I don't know how old your battery is, but if it's the original, it's been on borrowed time for quite a while.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.