2007 Compass Turns Over but Won't Start. Help!!!??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Compass Turns Over but Won't Start. Help!!!???

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
blankman296
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Compass Turns Over but Won't Start. Help!!!???

Hi all. So here's the problem-
2007 Compass, 2wd, 2.4L, 70,000 miles.

Drove to the store today, was inside for about 30 minutes. When I came out, the engine turned over and started for about 2-3 seconds before stalling. It was very sluggish, kind of sputtering during the couple of seconds before it stalled. Now it turns over fine, but will not start at all. At times, it almost seems like it wants to start, but doesn't.

It seems to me as if it would be the fuel pump (I understand that the only fuel filter is contained within the pump module?????). Is there anything that anyone would recommend that I check before tackling the fuel pump?

Also, does anyone have any pictures / diagrams for fuel pump replacement?

Last thing...It is pretty cold here in Pennsylvania. Could the temperature have anything to do with this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

blankman296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Hmmmm. Maybe run some fuel injector cleaner through it? Won't pump much through without it running but maybe while it turns over? Get a scanner and see if theres any codes.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Unless you had water in the fuel lines I don't think the temperature would do it. I've hit 0 F so far this Winter and -35 F in the past. It could be your ignition switch has died. I had an older truck that did the same thing, crank but not start, and that was the problem with it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

It used to be for problems like this you just had to think, air, fuel, spark. Whichever of the 3 was missing made finding the pronlem easy. Now its air, fuel, spark, electronics. Way harder.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
blankman296
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the replies. I have taken these suggestions into account, and here's where I stand as of tonight. (The car was towed to my driveway, but I can't push it into the garage because of the snow and ice in the driveway, so I am at the mercy of the daylight to work on it.)

I can't find a valve on the fuel rail to check the pressure. What I was able to do was spray some ether into the airbox, and it started right up for about 30 seconds. So I guess that narrows it down to a definite fuel delivery issue?

I removed the back seat and the access panel to the fuel pump. When I removed the wiring harness, I can see that one of the pins has what looks like some evidence of burn marks at the base of the pin, and the harness has a little bit of black on it at the corresponding pin. There is nothing melted or visibly burned, and it is contained to only the one pin.

When I tested the voltage, I am getting only about .20 volts at the scorched pin, and about 1.25 volts at the other positive pin. The pump does not come on when I turn the key to the run position.

I feel pretty much lost at this point, I have had electrical issues with this vehicle in the past, and I am not looking forward to taking it to the dealer to deal with more TIPM issues, but it looks like it may be headed in that direction.

Are there any actual relays or fuses for the pump, or is everything contained within the TIPM?
blankman296 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.