2007 compass steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 compass steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 12-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
jpi54

2007 compass steering

Hi guys ,
I have had my 2007 Compass for a month and a half. Noticed it takes a lot more effort to steer this vehicle than with others. Also when driving at highway speeds it seems to pull quit a bit while driving. I understand that the roads can be crowned and have grooves, If it was the crowning of the road I would think that on the right side and when the road is slanted to the right the vehicle should drift to the left. I have yet to experience this on any other vehicle I've had ( Jeep Wrangler and Ford 4x4 ranger). When I brought it to the dealer I told the service guy that I thought it was out of alignment and could they check the alignment. Well when I picked it up he told me they checked it on the machine ( it was perfect) , he drove it , then said he went to the dealer ( 5 miles away) and test drove a new Compass and got the same response. On the service sheet it just said he test drove the car and found that it could be the crowning of the road. Nothing in writing about checking it on an alignment machine or test driving another vehicle. It kind of bugs me that he didn't document this on the invoice. Oh my wife drove it and also thinks there is a problem.

Thanks in advance for your patience in reading this and I would appreciate any suggestions. Matter of fact I got a survey call today asking about my service experience. I will definantly call back but want to see what you all have experienced.

John

jpi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had mine for over 6 months now, although no issues with effort in steering, there were a couple of occasions where I did notice a bit of pulling on the steering on the highway. This was however on a highway that is undergoing some reconstruction, and the surface of the road is slightly rough.

Weird thing though, on the very same road on another day - there was no pulling at all. I'm hoping it was a one off, it is a bit disturbing though...

mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No TSB's on steering problems. These 2 mentioned in previous posts:

Sway Bar Linkage:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/i-heard-suspension-clunk-497800/

Tie Rod End:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/tie-rod-456990/

I'm also going to check with a Patriot owner that used to come around here one in a while. We'll have to wait for him to come back with info from a similar problem.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Jeepster55

i've had my 2007 for a couple months now.....no steering issues or any other issues for that matter. i would definitely get it back to the dealer to have them check it out and maybe you could drive another one to compare. in fact, ask the Service Advisor to go with you, in BOTH vehicles, to compare them.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

And try a different dealer if there is another close enough and your not satisfied.

Unread 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpi54
On the service sheet it just said he test drove the car and found that it could be the crowning of the road. Nothing in writing about checking it on an alignment machine or test driving another vehicle. It kind of bugs me that he didn't document this on the invoice.
don't hold me to this, but i 'think' that during the first 12 months, you get a 'free' alignment. that is, if you believe the vehicle is 'out of alignment', then Mopar will cover it under warranty. your dealer should have just performed an alignment to not only see if there was a problem that would surface, but to satisfy you and to pay the tech for his/her time. someone wasn't doing their job.....sorry.

i would ask to have it looked at again, this time by the Service Manager. if the Manager doesn't seem interested in helping you, like Gramps said, look for another dealer...GOOD LUCK!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I recieved this responce back from phil8400 that I had contacted. His new Patriot didn't steer very well from the beginning and after sending him the alignment specs never heard anything back.

They did an alignment and swapped the two front wheels – it still pulls a bit to the right. Dealer said that everything was within specs. Somehow though, I guess maybe through normal road wear, it’s gotten better. Either that or I just got used to it. Hard to say when dealer says that it’s 100% spec’d out and the thing is still a bit off.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.