JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   2007 Compass - rattling, grinding (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/2007-compass-rattling-grinding-1422443/)

snb77 09-29-2012 07:54 PM

2007 Compass - rattling, grinding

I own a 2007 Jeep Compass (automatic transmission). I have had it just over five years (just paid off two months ago) and it has a little over 78,000 miles on it. I have had few problems with it (the stuttering from a stopped position being about my only complaint) and have only had to have no major work (outside a front end alignment) on it.

Yesterday, I noticed both a grinding and a rattling sound when driving it. It was not too bad but became worse today. My husband and I came to the conclusion that the front brake pads need to be replaced, and will do so next week-end, when we have the time and money. However, we cannot figure out what the rattling sound is. It appears to come from the front middle of the Jeep and beside rattling, it also sounds like something may be loose and dragging on the ground. We had a rare rain today so were not able to look underneath and see if anything were loose or not. The noise may also have been going on for longer, but I wouldn't know since I jam to 80's rock most of the time I am in my Jeep.

I read this thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/r...noise-1190289/ --and it gave tie rods as the possible cause of that person's rattling problem. My husband and his brother will check out the tie rods when they are changing the brakes, but it would be nice to know if those should be changed so they can do it at the same time. I wish I could describe the noise better (which did not occur on the way back from a "test drive to hear the noise" drive), but given the information I have provided, can any of you please give me suggestions? I'm a mom and fearful of anything going wrong with my Jeep while the little kids are with me, and this mysterious noise plus the bad brakes are not helping much. :(

Thank you so much in advance!

- stacey

FujativeOCR 09-29-2012 08:38 PM

That's pretty good mileage if it is the tie rods. These things usually go out at 35k.

Gramps 09-30-2012 04:46 AM

There are usually metal 'shims' behind the brake pads and sometime noises will echo under the front end. You'll catch that when doing the brakes. Otherwise give it a good looking over and listening with the engine cover off. Since this cover is an option on the 2.0 engines you won't harm anything by leaving it off. It's mostly used to quieting things down under the hood.

cuemark8 09-30-2012 08:03 AM

I don't know about the tie-rods mine are still fine and I'm way past 78k mi. The jeeps do have a lot of front end issues. Yes tie-rods, but also ball joints and lower A-arms. What I think could be the rattling problem is the front sway bar. I had the exact same problem. Rattling was most noticeable at slow speeds like parking lots or pulling out onto roads from a parking lot over the curb. The sway bar is actually a pretty cheap part even with labor. The bolts holding the sway bar loosen and oblong the holes. Then it just basically bouncing around.

snb77 09-30-2012 08:28 AM

Thank you all for the responses. Cuemark8, slow speeds (like you described and also when coming to a stop) are the only times we noticed the sound. Is the sway bar easy enough to be replaced as a DIY project or should we take it to a shop? Thanks again!

cuemark8 09-30-2012 10:49 AM

I did it at the dealer. It's a dealer specific part I think. Meaning you wont find one at NAPA or Autozone. It's doesn't need any alignment afterwards it's a quick fix. That should be it. But keep in mind the dealership will do a look around to determine the cause of noise. Even if you do it yourself you will likely need to go to dealer for the part. If you have not had any front end work in the past they may find other problems. For some reason these Jeep Compass's are notorious for having front end problems. The problems where tie-rods and ball joints. The problem was linked to one of their parts suppliers. Chysler doesn't make most of the suspension parts. I believe the problems have been fixed but many many have been built and put on the roads until then. ONce, if any, problems are found and fixed. It shouldn't happen again.

snb77 09-30-2012 12:17 PM

I had a front end alignment done three years ago (I believe it was). We live on a road that's barely two car widths wide and the very edge of the road is full of pot holes. My Jeep found one one too many times. We have gone on several rough roads (rocky, not well maintained county roads) which probably hasn't been good on it either. Fortunately, my husband now has a four wheel drive vehicle we can use when going to the state parks and therefore save my Jeep any more trouble. Thanks again!

snb77 10-03-2012 08:32 AM

One more question: beginning yesterday, anytime I turned left (left only, not right) I heard a grinding noise similar to the grinding noise from my brakes. Could that be brake noise also or another problem all together? Thanks in advance!

cuemark8 10-07-2012 07:39 AM

Answer to the grinding noise turning left only. Almost guarantee that it's a wheel bearing. Why only one direction and not the other? The forces appied during turning make the grinding more pronounced the loads at present only affect the wheel bearing at this time in one direction the stress in the opposite direction isn't making a pronounced noise. Let it go and it will! It will get louder and be noisy in both directions as the wheel bearing slowly fails.

The time now is 07:11 PM.