2007 Compass - High whiny engine at startup and low speeds. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Compass - High whiny engine at startup and low speeds.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
benlaw2006
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Compass - High whiny engine at startup and low speeds.

Hello all. I have a 2007 Compass - automatic transmission with almost 57K on it. I have been the only owner/driver. Past relevant problems include a blown fuse that was causing the headlight and interior lights to malfunction (fixed) and a battery that leaked all sort of acidy goodness on the positive terminal. New battery and I'm getting more corrosion about 2 years into it.

Problem lately has been a high idle when I first start the car, up to about 1750 RPM. Within 30 seconds the idle drops to about 500-750 which in itself hasn't been alarming, but started the same time as the following issue The other issue is that the car has had sort of a high whine when I'm traveling less than 20 MPH (like around my neighborhood) and seems to have a little delay and even a small hiccup in downshifting. If I shift the vehicle into neutral the whine goes away and doesn't come back if I shift back into drive. The car seems to be driving fine - certainly is ok at high and constant speeds, but the whine is noticeable at lower speeds and city driving with a lot of starts and stops and turns. I don't like the high whine and wonder if it portends problems in the future.

I live in Utah. It has been between 90 and 105 F for several weeks.. The car is in the sun all day. No noticeable change in gas mileage which has always been terrible (18-22 MPG the entire life of car)

I am wondering if the problem is transmission related and whether I should have the 60K service sooner (because that includes a transmission flush) or if it is perhaps battery related. Engine oil is fine, but I am also due for a checkup.

Any ideas?

TLDR? High whiny engine at startup and low speeds.

benlaw2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I'd try the tranny flush. I only have 30k but already planning to do it around 60k based on other reports. Also, I feel your pain on the mpg. Mine sucks too.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
benlaw2006
2007 MK Compass 

Thank you!

Yeah - I'm thinking that's the best idea. Car has done well until now (except for gas mileage)

Thank you for your response!
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
benlaw2006
2007 MK Compass 

Fixed problem - wasn't the tranny

This problem has been resolved - it actually was the alternator going out. Car runs fine now. A bit pricey of a repair, though to do at the dealer. ($690 - My wife nearly killed me for spending that on a new alternator)
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
icemanang
2007 MK Compass 

tranny help please

i just had the a/c compressor replaced and tie rod and ball joint . soon after the transmission temp light went on and since it was whinning i added trans fluid and it was fine for local driving . on a trip about 20 miles the light went on again car slowed almost to a halt . i let it cool down and drove it to the transmission shop he drained and flushed the trans and said he cleared the temp light . he said there were no more codes . of i went and 20 miles later same thingcould the guy have put the wrong ac in or put the belt back the wrong way . anybody have some info please
icemanang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlaw2006
This problem has been resolved - it actually was the alternator going out. Car runs fine now. A bit pricey of a repair, though to do at the dealer. ($690 - My wife nearly killed me for spending that on a new alternator)
What was your wifes alternate solution?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
kevinw2345
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have noticed on my 08 compass limited 4x4 that when I am idleing my tranny or something whines or whistles. I put the car is neutral and it goes away.
kevinw2345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.