2007 Compass - High whiny engine at startup and low speeds. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Compass - High whiny engine at startup and low speeds.

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
benlaw2006
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Compass - High whiny engine at startup and low speeds.

Hello all. I have a 2007 Compass - automatic transmission with almost 57K on it. I have been the only owner/driver. Past relevant problems include a blown fuse that was causing the headlight and interior lights to malfunction (fixed) and a battery that leaked all sort of acidy goodness on the positive terminal. New battery and I'm getting more corrosion about 2 years into it.

Problem lately has been a high idle when I first start the car, up to about 1750 RPM. Within 30 seconds the idle drops to about 500-750 which in itself hasn't been alarming, but started the same time as the following issue The other issue is that the car has had sort of a high whine when I'm traveling less than 20 MPH (like around my neighborhood) and seems to have a little delay and even a small hiccup in downshifting. If I shift the vehicle into neutral the whine goes away and doesn't come back if I shift back into drive. The car seems to be driving fine - certainly is ok at high and constant speeds, but the whine is noticeable at lower speeds and city driving with a lot of starts and stops and turns. I don't like the high whine and wonder if it portends problems in the future.

I live in Utah. It has been between 90 and 105 F for several weeks.. The car is in the sun all day. No noticeable change in gas mileage which has always been terrible (18-22 MPG the entire life of car)

I am wondering if the problem is transmission related and whether I should have the 60K service sooner (because that includes a transmission flush) or if it is perhaps battery related. Engine oil is fine, but I am also due for a checkup.

Any ideas?

TLDR? High whiny engine at startup and low speeds.

benlaw2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I'd try the tranny flush. I only have 30k but already planning to do it around 60k based on other reports. Also, I feel your pain on the mpg. Mine sucks too.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
benlaw2006
2007 MK Compass 

Thank you!

Yeah - I'm thinking that's the best idea. Car has done well until now (except for gas mileage)

Thank you for your response!
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
benlaw2006
2007 MK Compass 

Fixed problem - wasn't the tranny

This problem has been resolved - it actually was the alternator going out. Car runs fine now. A bit pricey of a repair, though to do at the dealer. ($690 - My wife nearly killed me for spending that on a new alternator)
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
icemanang
2007 MK Compass 

tranny help please

i just had the a/c compressor replaced and tie rod and ball joint . soon after the transmission temp light went on and since it was whinning i added trans fluid and it was fine for local driving . on a trip about 20 miles the light went on again car slowed almost to a halt . i let it cool down and drove it to the transmission shop he drained and flushed the trans and said he cleared the temp light . he said there were no more codes . of i went and 20 miles later same thingcould the guy have put the wrong ac in or put the belt back the wrong way . anybody have some info please
icemanang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlaw2006
This problem has been resolved - it actually was the alternator going out. Car runs fine now. A bit pricey of a repair, though to do at the dealer. ($690 - My wife nearly killed me for spending that on a new alternator)
What was your wifes alternate solution?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
kevinw2345
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have noticed on my 08 compass limited 4x4 that when I am idleing my tranny or something whines or whistles. I put the car is neutral and it goes away.
kevinw2345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.