2007 Compass - Cant go more than 25mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2007 Compass - Cant go more than 25mph

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
boanerges57
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Compass - Cant go more than 25mph

So saturday on my way to work i had an apparent loss of power going up a hill and slowed to 45.

Later on my way home I lost power completely and had to pull over.

the engine sounds fine and is running fine - revs freely when in neutral.

The transmission seems to be overheating but i get no warning lights for it.

The fluid smells bad.

do I just need to replace it or does this seem like a more serious issue?

I can no longer drive faster than 25 mph for a short period of time before I have to pull over.

I figure I will try replacing the fluid (valvoline CVT is only $9 a quart at autozone - and its made for the jatco)

boanerges57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
The_War_Wagon
2007 XK Commander 

Oooh! Sounds like you got the "Overland Limited" edition - it REACHES 25mph!

SOUNDS like a burned torque converter, if not the whole transmission. If you don't have a good, TRUSTWORTHY, transmission shop nearby, sounds like it's BACK to the dealership time.
Unread 09-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
boanerges57
2007 MK Compass 

I think you are right about the torque converter since the transmission isnt throwing any codes or actually overheated.

i cant find anyone that will replace just the torque converter and torque converter clutch.
boanerges57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.