18" Chrome Rims - Tire Fit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 18" Chrome Rims - Tire Fit

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 11-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Rbongirl

18" Chrome Rims - Tire Fit

I have the 4x2 Compass Limited with the 18" Chrome Rims...it seems like the tire doesn't fit properly, there's probably a good 1/4 inch gap from the side of the tire where the rim sticks out. I actually work at the plant that builds these, but have been off work, so I haven't been able to check some of the cars out at work to see if this is normal or not. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs or is it possible my car has the wrong tires on it?

Thanks!

Rbongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have looked at both the chrome and aluminum rims, both have a 1/4" lip on the rim. Is this what you are looking at, or is there a 1/4" gap from inside this lip to the tire?

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Rbongirl,

I measured .315" along a flat lip on the rim and .370" from the outside of the rim to where I could actually touch the tire with my calipers. Tires are as called for: P215/55R18 Firehawk. Doesn't show up real well with this night shot, I'll try again in the daylight.

Rockton? Church by the side of the road?
Gramps
wheel_tire.jpg  
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Rbongirl

Yes, exactly like that picture! Just doesn't seem normal, does it? I know I've already called the dealership about my TPMS going crazy when it gets cold, but I haven't bugged them about this yet.

And yes Grandpa..Rockton, Church by the Side of the Road..literally a mile down the street from me!
Rbongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
phil8400

That doesn't look normal to me. (1/4" gap from inside this lip to the tire)
I'll check mine (aluminum) and report back.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Kev M
2012 WK 

Looks to me like the sealing bead portion of the rim is just a little more before it flares out to the edge. I don't think it is anything to worry about. But let's see what others find.

(Whenever I used to use the tire machine to mount new rubber, I always got a kick out of popping the beads onto the rims with air pressure. Considering the force it took that machine to get them back off even when deflated, well, I'm none to worried about it.)
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I took a walk around the parking lot at work and eyeballed some of the chrome/aluminum rims. The Compass has them all beat! Subaru, Audi, a Dodge Truck and a Ford Truck came in not too far behind at maybe .200". I did have to look at the others a bit more closely because their sidewalls bulged quit a bit more and it just wasn't as obvious.

So far, I've had mine in 107 degree heat in Tucson (hate to think what the pavement temp was!) and tire pressure was up to about 44 psi going across the desert and it's been down to 22 degrees here at home. I filled up the tires before I left for Tucson to 35 and I haven't had to change that since. I had them rotated at 6K and all was fine. 8000 miles on mine so far.

Kel, CBSR, got married there.
top.jpg   front.jpg  

Last edited by Gramps; 11-08-2006 at 05:57 PM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.