Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

16 m.p.g. in my Compass

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  ARONO 129 
#1 ·
I switched the dashboard computer to "US" from "metric" last night on my 08 Compass. The only thing I understand in metric is Celcius.

I know the Compass is rated at 29 mpg in the city with some people saying they get around 23 mpg, but 16 mpg?

The car only had 7 km on it when we bought it. Is there a break in period or is this due to driving style?

Still love the Jeep and I'm glad we bought it. I'm was just surprised to see 16 mpg.

#2 ·
My understanding is that it will get better as the car gets through it's break in period - but still 16 mpg? might be your driving style. I just got mine last week and I'm getting about 22mpg.

#3 ·
Give it between 500 and 1500 miles so that your driving style adjusts to the characteristics of the little 4 banger w/CVT. The cold weather plays a big part with mine although I've never hit as low as 16mpg. Right now with the low temps and 29" tires I've been getting about 20 mpg. If you don't see an improvement within the next 2 tanks I'd have the dealer check in to it.

#5 ·
I am gonna check my milage with this tank of gas. I got about 280 miles out of the first tank an avg of 23.3 mpg. Not the best considering most of it was freeway miles, but there was some stop and go traffic. Oh how I wish it had a bigger tank. Which is a couple questions ...

1. Is it possible to have a bigger tank installed?
2. K&N Cold Air Intake - Will it help with the MPG??
3. Exhaust? Don't want it to sound like (BUTT) or ricey.

I wonder if the last 2 combined could improve MPG???

#7 ·
Oh how I wish it had a bigger tank.
I think all of us would like that. Nobody makes a bigger tank yet, maybe something I'll look in to, but it sure feels good only taking $30 - $35 to fill up!

1. Is it possible to have a bigger tank installed?
2. K&N Cold Air Intake - Will it help with the MPG??
3. Exhaust? Don't want it to sound like (BUTT) or ricey.

last two combined will help mpg.

you must have one heck of a heavy foot to be getting 16mpg though.
i averaged 19.9 mpg in the WJ last week during an hour long test drive... and that included mountain roads and some 4x4 stuff.
Temp Winnipeg 28 vs Albuquerque 70
short trips vs long trips
getting used to the CVT characteristics.

They can add up.

#6 ·
last two combined will help mpg.

you must have one heck of a heavy foot to be getting 16mpg though.
i averaged 19.9 mpg in the WJ last week during an hour long test drive... and that included mountain roads and some 4x4 stuff.

#8 ·
I switched the dashboard computer to "US" from "metric" last night on my 08 Compass. The only thing I understand in metric is Celcius.

I know the Compass is rated at 29 mpg in the city with some people saying they get around 23 mpg, but 16 mpg?

The car only had 7 km on it when we bought it. Is there a break in period or is this due to driving style?

Still love the Jeep and I'm glad we bought it. I'm was just surprised to see 16 mpg.
so if it's in 'metric' mode, is that 16 KILOMETERS PER LITRE or 16 MILES PER GALLON?

food for thought.......:confused::D

#15 ·

I got around 17mpg last time i filled up. Keep in mind that my longest drive of the day was to school which is a stones throw away.

#19 ·
16 MPG in US gal is 19.2 MPG in imperial units. In Canada we used imperial units before we switched to metric. I suspect that part of the confusion is between the US and Imperial measures. EVIC uses US gallons in displaying mileage.

I use litres per 100 kms and I have that factor set in scanguage. Since we buy gas in litres and since our speedometers are in KMS it should be easier to calculate L/100kms. In winter with my cvt patriot I usually get around 11 litres per 100 kms. That is 21.4 MPG US and 25.7 MPG Imperial. My suggestion is that one tank is not enough to base any conclusion on and that a careful calculation of the next two or three tanks in L/100km will see a more reliable record of fuel consumption

#21 ·
I called the service department today and told them my gas milage reading. They said with the newer cars there isn't much they can adjust but to give the vehicle around 5,000 km to adjust i.e break in period. They said they could scan the engine at some point.

Regardless I do the same amount of driving as I did with my old Protege and I'm not filling up any more or less.

#23 ·
I got the same results.... what is rated on our sticker window in Canada is nowhere what we get. We are suppose to get 9.8l/100km city and 8.5l/100km highway... what we are expericing 12.5l/100km city and 10l/100km highway. But like I noticed... the lower the rpm the better the gas compsumtion. This beast does drink at higher rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.