140 Amp Alternator on FD2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 140 Amp Alternator on FD2

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

140 Amp Alternator on FD2

Anybody know why Jeep decided to include a 140 Amp alternator as part of the FDII Off-Road package? The stock alternator is 120 Amp, and my Jeep, as it were, has the 140 Amp one. Now I personally know the advantages of a bigger alternator, as it pertains to my Car Audio exploits, but what was Jeeps intent on including this? Were they anticipating the buyers to modify the cars with accessories that require more juice...such as Light Bars, Winches, etc., or is it specificially for something included in the Off Road group...

140-Amp Alternator
4-Wheel Drive Off-Road Mode
All Season Front and Rear Floor Mats
Brake Lock Differential
Bright Exhaust Tip
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
GoodyearŽ Brand Tires
Goodyear is a registered trademark of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
Hill Descent Control
P215/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires
Tow Hooks
"Trail Rated" ™ Badge
Transmission / Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate

I don't see anything on there that would require much more amps than a stock Patriot. I'm thinking about this primarily because I am modifying the stereo, and I'm wondering how much leeway the stock electrical system has between demand and availability. Also, if Jeep was providing a larger alternator to meet customer modification demands...it it reasonable to assume that an amplifier (potential maximum draw 55 amps) shouldn't void the factory warranty?

FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.