'12 FDII Patriot 'Lee-Roy' Adventure & Progress Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > '12 FDII Patriot 'Lee-Roy' Adventure & Progress Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

So a few updates...I just bought a set of these! I can't wait to install them, it'll give my Pat such a better looking stance!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281061055096...84.m1497.l2649

And next week I'll be buying 225/75/R16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs to install on my TJ Rubicon MOAB wheels! My Pat will perform so much better off road, I'm stoked!

Kenny-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
FourPointZero
2013 MK Patriot 

I put the same spacers on my stock 17" wheels/tires. They definitely make a difference.
FourPointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

'12 FDII Patriot 'Lee-Roy' Adventure & Progress Thread

Cool I can't wait to install them. MrJeepR44 has them and his Pat looks so much meaner with them and his is the same color and package that mine is so I know ima love it once installed lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

'12 FDII Patriot 'Lee-Roy' Adventure & Progress Thread

Been working on a 'Raptor LEDs' project and here's a teaser for it...I'll post the full write up when it gets organized;

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Here's the write up;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny-g View Post
Over the weekend I completed project Raptor LEDs as I've nicknamed it...I was over thinking it before and didn't want to attempt it but after making one sketch/blueprint I realized that it's really not that complicated so I got my horrible sketch of a blueprint down and started my work.

Kind of starting to look like the diagram lol

Completely done with soldering. It's funny how I thought that this would be the hardest part of the porject before I actually got into it but it ended up being the easiest since it's pretty straight forward...either you solder them good or you don't. In which case you just start over. The instalation was more of a PITA because it required meticulous planning and figuring out how to zip tie things around other things so as to not let the wiring look bad. Anyways, pic of the finished soldering;

This is the layout to help give y'all an idea of how it'll be wired up.

The top right is the add-a-circuit that'll obviously be in the fuse box and the wiring will go behind the grille, above the radiator, and in front of the fan shroud. The negative wire is the bottom left wire and that will be connected with one of the other already present grounds around the front end of the Pat.

The instalation should only take a hour if you know exactly how you're going to run the wiring and if you know you have the correct length wires. I didn't know either for sure. All I knew is where I wanted to mount them and that the positive wire was going to the fuse box and the negative was going to a ground near the drivers side headlamp. The crappy part is when I started I dropped a nut and then a socket in the engine bay and couldn't find it -___- fail...an hour and a half later I found it with the help of my buddy who's a certified Chrysler tech who just happens to be in the Air Force now lol Anyway so on with the install.

To take off the plastic piece that sits above the empty space behind the grille; undo the two 10mm bolts out of the ends and then use a hex bit (6 sided star) to remove the 7 small screws connecting it to the grille. Once done take two screw drivers and go to town on the annoying body push pin things (5) that attach the plastic to the radiator frame/hood latch frame, whatever it's actually called. The pics are in order as described;

Right next to the intake thing you can see where one of those push pin things go;

I didn't take a pic of it but take off the intake thing pictured above by twisting the two screws to the left. Easy peasy.

*note: To be honest, I hate those damn push pins cause they're a PITA to get to in some of their locations do I only reinstalled the 3 that were the easiest to get to. I still have the other two but I am not going to reinstall them.

Now you have your plastic piece off the top so you have a lot of room to work with now to begin routing your wiring.

The add-a-circuit was used on the ignition/AC fuse (22 I believe?) so the lights come on when the key is turned so they will always be on as long as the key is in and turned.

Close up;

Then I drilled a hole through this spot on the box and through its lid;

Where I grounded them;

This is the drivers side connector for the LEDs wiring to plug into. I elected to go this route so that if an LED burns out for whatever reason it would be easy to replace.
[imh]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww263/KennyWilcox/CA1A5608-B875-4730-B1EA-458CD6CA72D4-83486-000071DB138AC552_zps0a7dcc92.jpg[/img]
The passenger side connector;

At this point the center connector is just laying in the middle until I could figure out a good place to zip tie it or something. I brought the LEDs and their wiring inside so I could figure out how I'm going to mount them and wrap the wiring to keep them from water.

Side note, you know you're from the south when you come inside from workin on your vehicle and get a glass of sweet tea lol

I figured the best way to mount them for now is to use [GULP] insane super glue (an all weather Loc-Tite product). I don't like using this but this stuff is super durable and tough.

Passenger side;

Center;

Drivers side;

DS wiring;

Center wiring;

PS wiring;

Now you're done! Just put the plastic pieces back on the same way you took the off. If I could do it again, I'd do the 7 small screws first and then the bolts by the fender and lastly the push pins. I believe I stripped one of the small screw holes but it was only one.

Night pics;

During the day, they are barely noticable which is fine since I don't have daytime running lights anyway. When the key is in the ignition and turned to the AC and completely turned over.

All in all, I am very pleased and this is a pretty easy project I plan to extend the positive wire because I don't like it sitting atop the intake thing.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
jeepjeep523
1998 ZJ 

Where'd you get the little jeep decal in your front windshield?? I love it!!
jeepjeep523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

On the a forum for Jeep Patriots they sell a lot of stickers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.