08 Patriot cranks, no start. 2.4L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 08 Patriot cranks, no start. 2.4L

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-17-2015, 03:07 AM   #1
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

08 Patriot cranks, no start. 2.4L

Drove car to work, put fuel in on the way here. Filled the tank, car ran fine. Parked for 8 hours while at work, got in it to leave, crank, sputter sputter, dies. Did this a few times. Then it just cranks. Unhooked battery, no help, disconnected fuel line at the rail and fuel shoots out enthusiastically (not a scientific measurement but I digress...). Put booster on battery (it's very old) and no help. Cycled the key several times to see a code, it says -DONE-, no code. I've had an intermittent CEL but it was an 02 sensor issue. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it sputtered but no start.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadetklapp View Post
Drove car to work, put fuel in on the way here. Filled the tank, car ran fine. Parked for 8 hours while at work, got in it to leave, crank, sputter sputter, dies. Did this a few times. Then it just cranks. Unhooked battery, no help, disconnected fuel line at the rail and fuel shoots out enthusiastically (not a scientific measurement but I digress...). Put booster on battery (it's very old) and no help. Cycled the key several times to see a code, it says -DONE-, no code. I've had an intermittent CEL but it was an 02 sensor issue. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it sputtered but no start.
You didn't put diesel in it did you? Pull a spark plug and check the condition. I change mine every 30k miles.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Why would I put diesel in it? It's not a diesel vehicle.

Returned the next day to my work and it started but ran very rough. After idling a few minutes I backed out of space and it died. Did this a few times, long cranking, finally got it to start. Held the gas pedal down and ran the revs high until it warmed up and it acted fine. CEL kicked on. Hooked up ScanGage II and got the following codes-
P0420
P0171

Between these two codes I think it's telling me it's running lean, possibly a fuel starvation issue. We are leaning towards fuel pump. I drove it to my house 15 miles away without issue. Parked it, went out two hours later, won't start. Hasn't started since. If it's a fuel pump, that's the best case scenario. If it's the crank sensor, that's about the worst. The plugs have about 30k on them, however a bad spark plug isn't going to cause a sudden no-start condition on any vehicle I know of. The Patriot hasn't had a miss or been running rough prior to this incident. My understanding is that the Crank sensor, while only about $12, requires the removal of the right wheel, axle, and PTU to access. Brilliant engineering Chrysler, brilliant.

Unread 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #4
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

It was just a suggestion, I've seen it happen.....
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This fine example of why Chrysler shouldn't have been bailed out keeps getting better. Replaced the fuel pump with a brand new unit, seeing as computer was indicating a lean condition and we didn't hear any noise out of it. No help. It was nearly 60 degrees this weekend, so it didn't take as much effort to start. Monday morning- dead as a hammer. Cranks and cranks, sputters, dies. Fearing I would eventually fry the starter I just called the dealer and told them to come get it and do a diagnostic (to the tune of $150). I told them not to repair a damn thing until I'm told what it is. I don't need a $800 bill for replacing an o2 sensor or something similarly asinine.

This car is such a waste of money. I sincerely hope the new Chrysler products are not as poorly engineered and made as the bailout year models are.

Unread 02-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

And the idiocy continues...

Service manager calls today, states that they can't find a lean code, only a generic misfire code and "a couple of others" and that the spark plugs (which were replaced) were fouled and the incorrect type. He states that the plugs in the car were NGK platinums and that the car won't run on those. Ok, fair enough, parts store failure like usual. Then says he wants $230 to change the plugs out. Well, I'm not an idiot, and the one thing that's easy as pie to do on this model is change the plugs. So I told him to shove it outside and I would change the plugs. I went into the parts department, got the correct spec NGK plugs, put them in in 10 minutes or so, still won't start. I go back in and tell him, and he just appears as if they are out of ideas. So, we shall see. My guess is the next wild *** guess will be a failed ECU.

Unread 02-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

And I was right!

Called back the next day and said, not overly confident, that they think the ECU has failed. Wants $700 to replace with no guarantee it will fix the problem. I pulled the ECU myself and will try and find a salvage unit.

Unread 02-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
ken24
2011 JK Wrangler 

Subscribed to this thread. Good luck with your next attempt at a fix.
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. Waiting to make a decision on the replacement junkyard vs "reman" vs ebay. Very few sellers provide the programming, but the ones that do do it at a very reasonable price, however none I have found have any MK computers.

Unread 02-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #10
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

New ECU is in, new battery is in, waiting on dealer to get it in for programming. This vehicle has been down for over a month. At this point, the dealer has offered to take it off my hands and put me in a new 200s V6, and I'm really considering it.

Unread 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
JerryGNYC
2015 MK Patriot 

AWD version?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.