'08 Liberty vs. Patriot - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > '08 Liberty vs. Patriot

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #16
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

When I was shopping, I looked at the Patriot, Compass, Libby and Wrangler.

The fuel economy alone ruled out the Libby and the Wrangler. It also ruled out the FDII Patriot. Like 95% of the people buying SUV/CUVs, the only off road I will be doing with this commuter buggy is dirt/muddy/frost heave/pot hole roads.

Frankly, I like driving a CUV that feels like an SUV from the drivers seat but at the same time handles like a car. If fuel economy were not an issue the decision would probably still have been the MK as it has a better ride. If I were buying another toy, the only choice would have been a Wrangler...

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
unclejjg

I'll toss my two cents in. After driving the Patriot, the Wrangler Unlimited, and sitting in the Liberty, I ruled the Liberty out very quickly.

The main reason? Comfort. The inside of the Liberty is not made for a tall man....and I'm only 6'. The steering wheel doesn't adjust high enough, the seats aren't nearly as comfortable as either the Patriot or the Unlimited, the dashboard is non-existent (I love the large dash on the Patriot), and I swear the Patriot has more room in the back with the exception of those damnable cup holders. (the Unlimited surely does).

The Patriot was really comfortable. Further, I like the interior design of the Pat better then the Liberty. And the fact that you can get heated fabric seats in the Sport is a big bonus for those of us north of the Mason-Dixon.

I can't comment on how the Liberty drives, but I'm sure I would prefer the Select-Trac option over FDII.

On a side note, I was so close to buying a Wrangler Unlimited (and if I am stupid, I still might), but the gas mileage is horrible. However, the ride is oohhh so sweet! Loved it.
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #18
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Personally I do not see the purpose of the Liberty anymore... Originally it was supposed to be a smaller more economical alternative to the Wrangler that offered more or easier access to the back (from what I can gather). Now it gets approximately the same gas mileage as the Wrangler Unlimited has less ability offroad and the same amount of accessability. Know I have not checked but I would guess it has less interior room than a Wrangler Unlimited too. The Patriot however is more economical and still has some pretty good offroad capabilities. Personally I would only go with the Wrangler Unlimited or the Patriot. I decided on the Patriot because it was cheaper, had better gas mileage and would serve my family better.

But who knows as I move back to the States I may sell my 'Riot and buy an Unlimited... Then again with gas prices on the rise maybe not.
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Liberty was meant to replace the Cherokee. To many it was a disappointment, as are many new Jeeps to the die hards. It isn't as "spartan" as the Cherokee and doesn't appear to be quite as versatile either, but that's all subjective based on your priorities. Also not as roomy.

Compared to the Patriot it has more power, more towing capacity, more aftermarket off-road item available and more stock ground clearance. It's also more expensive to buy and feed and also has a more conventional 4WD unit and transmission.

I personally have no dislikes for the Libby's except the fuel economy and my oldest daughter loves hers. I much prefer the MK as a daily driver and if I had better access to some play areas I would build up an old CJ or Wrangler.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
geopa
2008 MK Compass 

We tested the Liberty and Patriot when we traded in my wife's 92 Cherokee Briarwood. Was not crazy about the Liberty's gas mileage but the poor view out of the rear hatch window ruled out the Liberty for sure. I test drove the original style Liberty several years ago before I bought my Santa Fe but IMHO the original was a much better design than the 08 version
She ended up with a Compass because they had a Limited without a sunroof and every Patriot Limited in our area had a sunroofs. The sunroof was a deal killer for us, I know many people love them but with severe allergies neither of use will ever use it.
geopa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #21
KUHawkhead
2008 KK Liberty 

I'll chime in here. I purchased a 2007 Patriot last OCtober, which became a Jeep buy back due to a leak in the rear cargo area that was unable to be fixed. The three things that disappointed me the most about this vehicle other than the leak were the fuel mileage, lack of room, CVT. I purchased the one with the FDII package, not realizing that it would take the gas mileage from 28 MPG down to (actually what I got in 11K miles) 16.5 MPG. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 6' tall, both of us thought the room in the Patriot was fine when test driving, but the seats are terribly uncomfortable on longer trips. The CVT is just something weird to get used to. The first couple of times I accelerated getting onto interstate, I expected a piston to come through the hood.

After Jeep bought the Patriot back from us, we went with a 2008 Liberty LImited with Sky Slider option. We have the transmission that can be shifted in 2wd, but has 4 loc and 4 low with hill descent control, which helped us down a snowy trail in Wyoming a month ago! The room in this vehicle is incredible compared to the Patriot. You're much higher up, which helps with headlights at night. The seats are ten fold more comfortable. There's actually head room between my head and the ceiling. It's just a lot more vehicle. One other note...we're averaging 22 MPG combined in the LIberty after 5K miles. Needless to say, we're much happier with this vehicle than the Patriot. Now, we did spend about $6K more, but after the leak issue, and disappointing performance of the Patriot, we were willing to spend more just to get a vehicle that would keep us satisfied!

I'm not trying to bash the Patriot, just merely share my story as someone who owns/ed both vehicles. The concept of the Patriot is nice, I just felt it didn't deliver the way it was advertised to!
KUHawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
rdrbssr11
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUHawkhead View Post
I purchased the one with the FDII package, not realizing that it would take the gas mileage from 28 MPG down to (actually what I got in 11K miles) 16.5 MPG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUHawkhead View Post
One other note...we're averaging 22 MPG combined in the LIberty after 5K miles.
i smell some BS brewing in the pot.
Unread 04-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #23
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPPiNiTuP7 View Post
i smell some BS brewing in the pot.

I have heard several reports of the FD II mileage being down around this level during the first several 1000 miles or so. I've also heard of up around 22 - 24 pretty consistently too.

My daughter with her older Libby only gets about 17.5. I know that driving technique can account for quite a bit.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #24
SiegG

Of the two I prefer ever so slightly the Liberty.
Unread 04-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
Jeepster55

i for one really LIKE the new KK Liberty. even when we had the open discussion with Jeep Engineers here on this forum a few weeks ago, they said the new KK was MUCH improved and we should drive one and see.

and if it weren't for the MPG's.....i probably would have BOUGHT one. the wife loves that open top, so that all the animals can come and join her while driving in the country.....
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #26
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

Interesting Story KUHawkhead.... obviously fabricated, but interesting... On our first tank (break in) with our 08 patriot with FD II we got 19 Mpg, second tank was 21Mpg. And thats with 85 octane (before I read the manual, which specifies 87 octane) I cant imagine how you got 16.5 unless you are flooring it all the time, which will give poor mileage on any vehicle. And a combined mileage of 22mpg on your 08 liberty is frigging amazing.... A little too amazing.... considering its a 4200+ lb vehicle with a 3.7l v6.... Under super ideal conditions you might get 22Mpg, like downhill or with a tailwind, but there is absolutely no way you will get 22mpg combined if you actualy do any amount of city driving, and id bet my paycheck on that.

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #27
KUHawkhead
2008 KK Liberty 

Believe what you want....that's how it went for me with the two vehicles. I did not floor the Patriot all the time, but did drive it more in a combined highway and town than the LIbby which goes mostly on the highway. I don't know why the mileage is so much better, but it is. I know when we went to Wyoming, we were on I-80 a lot and doing 80 MPH, due to the fact we were traveling with a group, who loved to fly. At 80, the LIberty avgd 21.3 MPG for the trip.

I guess I got lucky on what MPG's I'm getting, and hope it doesn't change once the engine breaks in!
KUHawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.