'08 Liberty vs. Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > '08 Liberty vs. Patriot

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
mcd001
2008 KJ Liberty 

'08 Liberty vs. Patriot

I posed a similar question in the Liberty forum, so I figured that to be fair I should invite Patriot owners to join the discussion.

I'm debating between the two vehicles mentioned, although I'm undecided on trim line etc., and I'm just wondering how different (or similar) the Patriot and Liberty really are. I looked up specs and dimensions on both, and in most regards they are surprisingly close. Liberty seems to only have a significant advantage in cargo space.

Obviously the engines/drivetrains are different, and Liberty wins the power comparisons but loses in gas mileage.

What else should be considered in this comparison?

If, hypothetically, there was no price difference between the two, I'd bet that there are still people who would choose the Patriot over the Liberty. If you're one of them, what makes the Patriot more appealing to you?

mcd001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
eeyun

I chose the Patriot over the Liberty based solely on fuel economy.

One thing you didn't mention is that the Liberty will be more offroad capable than even the trail-rated Patriot.
eeyun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
jrh

The Liberty is the "nicer" of the two, better interior, slightly bigger, more cargo space. And also more powerful engine, better off-road.

The Patriot should be cheaper, but there have been deep discounts on 07 Libertys, making them cost about the same. Don't know about pricing on the 08s.

The Patriot does get quite a bit better gas mileage... thats really its only plus unless its quite a bit cheaper. And it does look somewhat like the old XJ Cherokee. Also, the Patriot doesn't come with a regular automatic tranny, it has the CVT, which some people (including me) don't like. I drove a Caliber with a CVT for a week (rental car) and hated it.

But I normally only drive stick shifts, and the stick in the Patriot is very good.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
hunter44102

The roll-over ratings are better on the Patriot.

The Patriot feels more like a car.

I think its worth test driving both and see which one you like.

I bought my Patriot before the new Liberty was out, and I didn't like the old looks, but the Gas mileage was a huge deciding factor for me because I drive over 300miles/wk.
hunter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd001
I posed a similar question in the Liberty forum, so I figured that to be fair I should invite Patriot owners to join the discussion.

I'm debating between the two vehicles mentioned, although I'm undecided on trim line etc., and I'm just wondering how different (or similar) the Patriot and Liberty really are. I looked up specs and dimensions on both, and in most regards they are surprisingly close. Liberty seems to only have a significant advantage in cargo space.

Obviously the engines/drivetrains are different, and Liberty wins the power comparisons but loses in gas mileage.

If, hypothetically, there was no price difference between the two, I'd bet that there are still people who would choose the Patriot over the Liberty. If you're one of them, what makes the Patriot more appealing to you?
NATC trail ratings put both the TR Patriot and Liberty in the same category. The Liberty has far more potential to be modification should you have the need. Since 95% of 4X4 owners never take them off-road that may be a mute point.

The Libby’s are defiantly roomy, enough so that my wife, a big GC fan, seriously considered one. My oldest daughter owns a Libby and is disappointed with her gas mileage, 17mpg compared to my 24mpg. At 300 miles a week for both of us it adds up. They both hold 4 people comfortably (5 in a pinch) and plenty of groceries. Still, she’ll never get rid of her Libby. She has been in a ditch once because she forgot to put it in 4WD before she left for work one morning, you do have to think about doing that. Where on the other hand the MK’s are AWD (if you get the 4WD option) so it’s a no brainer trying to figure out what driving conditions that you’re going to run into. The MK’s are a get in a drive.

The Libby wins on cargo volume, performance and potential for modifications; the MK’s win on mpg and ease/comfort of driving.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
LibertyLimited

It's true the Liberty will not get the gas mileage the Patriot does. But lets be realistic here. How many sixes out there get the fuel economy of a four banger regardless of brand name? None that I know of. And... a six in a Jeep won't get the same fuel economy that a six in a car does due to axle ratios and transmission types. Example: I traded an 06 Mustang 4.0L six with a 5 spd manual for an 08 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L six with the automatic transmission. There is no way you can compare the fuel economy of these two vehicles. I was getting 26.6 mpg in the Mustang and am getting 19.3 mpg in the Liberty. Exact same type of driving with both vehicles.

I drove the 08 Patriot and the 08 Liberty (both Limiteds) before choosing the Liberty. The Liberty fits me much better in all catagories than does the Patriot. Fuel economy was not a valid catagory for me because I know that the four banger is going to do better on gas than the six. All other comparasions depend on what a person is looking for and feels right for them. Try them both and then make your choice. How can you go wrong as they both say Jeep on the hood? lol
LibertyLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
mcd001
2008 KJ Liberty 

Thanks, guys. I've definitely got a decision to make.

I stoppe dby a dealer this morning and had a look at a Liberty and a Patriot. Unfortunately the weather here in NJ is horrible today, and I'd rather test drive them in nicer conditions and when I can really spend some time getting a feel for them, here true road noise (not downpouring rain noise like it is today), and spend some time checking out the exteriors without getting soaked.

So far I've noticed one major thing: Despite the Jeep.com specs showing the Liberty and Patriot being close in exterior dimensions, the Patriot is much noticably smaller visually.

Think I'll swing by the dealer again during the week for a test drive and maybe stop in again next Saturday to take another spin and see about maybe making a deal, if the test drives bring me to a decision.
Unread 10-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
LibertyLimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd001
Thanks, guys. I've definitely got a decision to make.

I stoppe dby a dealer this morning and had a look at a Liberty and a Patriot. Unfortunately the weather here in NJ is horrible today, and I'd rather test drive them in nicer conditions and when I can really spend some time getting a feel for them, here true road noise (not downpouring rain noise like it is today), and spend some time checking out the exteriors without getting soaked.

So far I've noticed one major thing: Despite the Jeep.com specs showing the Liberty and Patriot being close in exterior dimensions, the Patriot is much noticably smaller visually.

Think I'll swing by the dealer again during the week for a test drive and maybe stop in again next Saturday to take another spin and see about maybe making a deal, if the test drives bring me to a decision.
Well my friend, I have to inject my observations here regarding the two things you mentioned. Size and road noise. I found the Patriot to be a lot smaller than the Liberty, especially in the interior where I like a bit more space. Road noise is almost nonesistant in the Liberty as compared to the Patriot. There is definitly a difference there. If these two things are important to you and the fuel economy difference is not too much of an issue, you will not have a hard time making your chioce. My wife and I are both driving a new 08 Liberty Limited to work now. Neither one of us would trade it for anything else even tho we can afford to do so.
LibertyLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyLimited
Well my friend, I have to inject my observations here regarding the two things you mentioned. Size and road noise. I found the Patriot to be a lot smaller than the Liberty, especially in the interior where I like a bit more space. Road noise is almost nonexistent in the Liberty as compared to the Patriot. There is definitely a difference there. If these two things are important to you and the fuel economy difference is not too much of an issue, you will not have a hard time making your choice. My wife and I are both driving a new 08 Liberty Limited to work now. Neither one of us would trade it for anything else even tho we can afford to do so.
I tend to agree with you on both counts. When my wife seriously considers a Libby against a GC there is there is plenty of room and comfort involved.

The road noise is definitely there in the MK's but whether I can contribute it to less insulation or to the cheap factory tires I can't say. One of the factors that the Tire Rack rates tires on is noise. My BA system makes that a mute point.

Bottom line from someone who loves their MK? The new Libby's are SWEET! If I wasn't such a cheap kinda guy who really hates big oil, I'd be looking at one. Either way it's still a Jeep and there will always be someone in JF to help you out should you need it!

Even with saying that, I can't tell you how many times that I've been told by complete strangers "NICE JEEP", been given a while next to someone on the road or just driving by them in town. I do remember when the Libby was at the bottom of the Jeep line up and they were the ones constantly being trashed. The MK's fill a void in the Jeep line up and certainly fit the bill for a lot of us.

Unread 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Well I owned a 2004 Liberty Sport and a 07 Patriot sure the Libby had more pep and would tow more but it road way bad tires were loud annd it sucked the gas. my patriot I get 310 to 333 Miles to a tank combo 60/40 street highway with the libby I would get 222 to 256 with the same driving and the libby has a bigger tank too boot (I also own a 07 compass)
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
mcd001
2008 KJ Liberty 

Well guys, I have decided to go with the Liberty. I put the deposit down today and pick it up Monday. In the end, size was a big factor, and I have to say that I was surprised at how much smaller the Patriot is. Sure it's stylish, has all the hallmarks of Jeep styling and visual appeal. But standing next to it it felt like a car. (I know I'm not making any friends in the Patriot forum by saying this).

I do wish the Liberty got better gas mileage, but I'll deal. Luckily I live in NJ which, at the moment, has the cheapest gas in the country. But then again we have the most expensive car insurance, so... nevermind.

Anyway, thanks for the info and advice. See you on the road/trails.
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Congrats on making a good choice for yourself. No matter what you choose, you're the one who would have to live with it and I feel that you'll be happy with your Liberty!.

Unread 04-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd001 View Post

Well, ive never driven an 08 liberty, but I traded my hyundai santa fe for a patriot. Although the santa fe had a bigger and more powerful engine. the patriot feels more powerful and accelerates faster (freedom drive II)... the freedom drive II is really cool... The CVT is kinda weird to drive, but I like it, and its plenty powerful. What I'm saying is, horse power is not the be-all end-all of "power".....

I would take the patriot with freedome drive II over a liberty.... but I would take the liberty over freedom drive I...

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

You know after contemplating this more and more I think If I were considering the Liberty I would consider the Wrangler Unlimited. They prices and gos consumption are close enough, but the aftermarket availability for the Wrangler JK would be at least twice that of the Liberty KK. To me that would be the key!
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
TJinWV
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We really considered an '08 Liberty versus the '08 Patriot. The Liberty won in almost every category. Someone above mentioned his daughter forgot the turn on 4WD - the '08s have a transfer case option (SelecTrac II) that includes an auto (full time) 4WD option. That option isn't available on the JK, and it was pretty much a necessity for my wife.

Anyway - I said the liberty won in ALMOST every category. The Patriot won the category that mattered most, however - cost of ownership. We were able to get a Patriot for almost $5000 less than a comparably equipped Liberty (excluding the V6 and Skyslider), plus we'll save $1000/year in gas. Unfortunately that made it a no-brainer to get the Patriot. Of course I shouldn't complain - I get to put about $2000 of the saved cash into the Wrangler. Woohoo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.