08 Compass continuous issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 08 Compass continuous issues

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
citycountrycatt

08 Compass continuous issues

Hi all, new to the forums. Last August I bought a used 08 Compass with 62k miles. A couple months into owning it and it had to go back to the dealer and replace the ball joint. A month or two after that, the right wheel barring and control arm was replaced. Now last month it randomly started steering weird on me I brought it right to my mechanic (not the dealership). He test drove it and just going around the block around his shop, the ball joint came completely OFF. He said who the heck did your ball joint, there was a screw not tightened properly...holy cow, I cannot believe it lasted as long as it did with no issues.

Anyway, that mechanic fixed the ball joint and also found that the right wheel barring and control arm were not done properly, so he fixed that as well. Tried to hold the dealership accountable for faulty repairs, long story short that didn't end well.

So now, there is a knocking noise in the right front and sounds like a shock/strut issue but not positive. In general this car makes a lot of strange noises and just started hearing some in the back. Creaks and knocking noises. I have read on here that the lower ball joints and possibly tie rods are an issue? Not even sure what but it will be going back to the mechanic. Ideas?? I will update after it has gone in...I cannot believe how many issues I have had with this car. The faulty work is a seperate issue but now I am wondering if it put unnnecessary stress on other parts so the entire front end is f^^&ked??

Thanks in advance...

citycountrycatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Compassmama19

This is hilarious. I bought mine, around 3-4 months ago. 58k miles, for $9k. Was so excited had not had any issues- well two weeks into having it. The ball joints went out. Both of them!! No warranty. A weeks after that...faulty part with the right ball joint. Then tr control arm. Now I'm having some sort of issue with the front end grinding when I stop. I'm beyond annoyed.
Compassmama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

Bought our '08 Compass in November of '07. Two months after the bumper to bumper warranty expired we had to replace the front lower control arms, ball joints, and tie rods. Kinda bummed out when that happened, but other than that our Compass has been extremely reliable and feels, drives, and looks like it's brand new. Those front end parts are pretty much crap on all the '08 Compasses. It's my wife's daily driver, and she won't even consider looking at something new. I know it's a pain to have a vehicle with a known issue like that, but I suppose it could have been a lot worse. I once had a Dodge Caravan that had a ticking time bomb tranny that expired on schedule, and that was way more expensive. Machines break. I'm not making excuses for Jeep, but it happens to the best of them, and we really love the vehicle otherwise.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

To the best of my knowledge the ball joint and lower control arm are only sold as a one piece assembly through dealers. No MOPAR ball joint, or lower control arm, as stand alone parts are vailable for these vehicles. It is a one piece assembly that lists for approx $190.

If they are using MOPAR parts to change the ball joint and a short time later telling you the lower control arm is gone( on same side )you are getting taken. That ball joint you had done earlier came already pressed into a lower control arm. So unless they removed the ball joint and put it onto the exisitng lower control arm, and kept the new lowercontrol arm, you got a whole assembly installed. If the lower control arm went bad after changing the ball joint that means the NEW lower control arm that you just put in failed and should be repalced at no charge. Either that or it means the dealer ripped you off and seperated that factury one piece assembly and kept the lower control arm.

You can get just a ball joint aftermarket however and replace just that in the existing lower control arm. Most people actually do this using MOOG ball joints to solve this common problem. The ball joint is the problem not the lower control arms. You need to know which they used before crying foul.

As said though if they claim they used MOPAR parts then the lower control arm failing shortly after the ball joint was done on that side means the new part failed and you should not have to pay for it again. Lower control arm coems with the ball joint from MOPAR!
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
To the best of my knowledge the ball joint and lower control arm are only sold as a one piece assembly through dealers. No MOPAR ball joint, or lower control arm, as stand alone parts are vailable for these vehicles. It is a one piece assembly that lists for approx $190.
That was exactly my experience. Done at dealer, and all one piece.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
citycountrycatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
As said though if they claim they used MOPAR parts then the lower control arm failing shortly after the ball joint was done on that side means the new part failed and you should not have to pay for it again. Lower control arm coems with the ball joint from MOPAR!
This is probably what happened, then....I purchases it from a used dealership and that explains why so many things have gone wrong with it. Now, however, I am having more issues with the steering.

I have had the following things replaced: ball joint, right wheel barring and right control arm, right front drive axle, all four brakes, all four struts, front end alignment, tire rotation and transmission fluid/filter change.

Right now the car is very uncomfortable to drive as far as steering. On the highway I have to hold a very consistent and firm grip to keep the car from drifting. If I even let up for a second, it drifts to either the right or the left. On regular streets the steering will "jolt" over bumps and in general is hard to keep after for proper steering. I talked to the mechanic who did the alignment and he said he noticed it was only when the car accelerated that it had issues like this. If I just coast along, the alignment is fine. He said he thought it was the castor portion of the alignment, which he could not adjust and basically just told me my car is quirky and naturally behaves this way for whatever reason. I call BS on that, I know there is another front end issue SOMEWHERE but nobody seems to be able to figure it out. This is new behavior entirely.

So, now what?? What other part could it possibly be? At least I am not alone with all these continuous problems. Very disappointed because I have spent over 3k on it at this point. I guess I could bring it to a Jeep dealer but they charge 130-150 just to look a the thing.
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
citycountrycatt

Or, do you think that the steering issue would be resolved if I had the ball joint/control arm re-installed as one whole piece? Would that mean I'd have to replace both sides then? Thanks...
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
jacko15
2014 WK 

I know it's expensive, but you generally get what you pay for, so if you take it to an authorized dealer service center you'll get a factory trained tech that knows what he is doing (hopefully). That's really the best advice I can give you. I know a lot of folks here think dealer service is overpriced and a waste of time, but I've had nothing but for the past 30 years, and my vehicles are always in tip top shape. And no, I'm not a dealer or employee of one, and never have been.
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
I know it's expensive, but you generally get what you pay for, so if you take it to an authorized dealer service center you'll get a factory trained tech that knows what he is doing (hopefully). That's really the best advice I can give you. I know a lot of folks here think dealer service is overpriced and a waste of time, but I've had nothing but for the past 30 years, and my vehicles are always in tip top shape. And no, I'm not a dealer or employee of one, and never have been.
I don't have a problem with dealer service at all. I actually use the local dealer for 99% of the work on my vehicles( especially now that I am sick and can't do the things I used to do myself ). What I have a problem with is dealer parts quality and the exhorbitant dealer parts price mark up( would scare you if you knew how much they are marked up ). So, while I happily and confidently let the local dealer do most of the work on my vehicles I bring my parts and fluids most of the time.

OEM parts are not the highest of quality. Sort of a "good enough quality" approach that lets them get them as cheap as can be seems to be taken with most OEM parts. They are middle of the road quality wise, usually, OR just repackaged aftermarket parts like the plugs( reboxed NGK V-Powers )with a HUGE mark up( same EXACT plug at dealer that costs $5 will cost $2.50 at a parts store ).

With the exception of body panels( always go OEM ), the occassional part that actually is better OEM( does happen but not often ), and hardware/parts that are only available at a dealer anyway aftermarket is the only way to go IMO. Better quality parts, or the same darn part in a different box, for much less money. I actually have worked in the auto parts and dealer parts/service field. I am just not a fan of OEM parts and fluids as a rule. I have no problem with dealer tech's though unlike so many here( and in general it seems ).

The Patriot's suspension parts are a prime example of OEM parts NOT being the best option. $190 for the OEM ball joint and lower control control arm assembly that is known to be poor quality and fail early. You can get a MOOG setup for around $100 that is MUCH better and MUCH cheaper. The spark plugs are another example. Just an NGK V-Power reboxed for MOPAR but with a 100% mark up at the dealer parts counter. No thanks.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.