Are the 07 MK Differentials Serviceable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Are the 07 MK Differentials Serviceable?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
JSinAK

Bearing noise coming from transaxle

The front pinion bearing is going on my wife's 07 MK. Figured Id just do a overhaul on the differential, but I can't locate any parts. I talked to the dealership parts department and they said they don't sell the parts just the entire unit for $2800. Has anyone attempted to crack one of these things open to overhaul or replace seals and bearings? Am I SOL or is it possible for this to be a DIY job?
Thanks
J

Edited the title so others who have the same issue can read through and be enlightened by the responses as I was.. Thanks guys

Last edited by JSinAK; 11-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Not Titled properly
JSinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

There is no traditional front differential on a 4WD Patriot/Compass. It is a FWD vehicle platform so you just have the transaxle up front. Then you have the t-case(PTU)and rear differential( RDA ) making it 4WD/AWD.

$2800 sounds like the cost of a rebuilt transaxle( automatic/CVT )to me.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
JSinAK

Thanks NH
My wife bought this 3 weeks ago from a private party. She noticed a whirling sound last week and took it to Merlins to get checked out. The "tech" told her it was a outer pinion bearing in the front diff and the cost to fix would be around $1,500. So I just ran with that diagnosis and started looking for parts to fix it myself. Funny thing is when I called the parts department at a jeep dealership and asked for a parts list of the front diff, they didn't correct me. I'm wondering if they were quoting me for a rear diff unit. Well considering I just dropped $10k on this thing and I'm stuck with it, I might as well pull it and crack it open. Worse case scenario I'll have to buy a rebuilt unit. If anyone has tried to repair the transaxle bearings on a CVT and have any advice or references, it would be much appreciated.

This is why I love my 98XJ. Parts are cheap and repairs are easy. 220k and rides smooth as butter.

UPDATE.. after talking to a few dealerships about the issue, I decided not to venture on the thought of a DIY repair. Purchasing an extended warranty is out since it's an existing issue. Dealer quoted me at $5400 to replace. So a 2007 MK is going to cost me over $15k!!! This is why you don't let your wife pick out a car because it matches her phone. Looks pretty though with all of the "bling bling" accessories she added. May just save the $5400 and buy her a 98XJ in Olive green (like mine) to teach her a lesson.

Last edited by JSinAK; 11-12-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Chrysler doesn't do rebuilds on the CVT( they just replace them )but check with a Nissan dealer. Same basic Jatco CVT as used in a lot of Nissans. Have heard of Patriot/Compass owners getting their CVT fixed at a Nissan shop.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

^x2.

When chrysler contracted with jatco for the cvt, they did it on a replace only basis, so they only replace the transmission vs actually repairing them. Same transmission that's in a lot of 4cyl nissans and they actually fix them. so worth a call.

and if that doesn't work out, drive the patriot till the transmission dies. Why spend the $ now if it still works, and just has a noise?

CVT's are very simple units, less than half the parts of a typical transmission. They are just a unknown for most people and most mechanics.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
JSinAK

Thanks for the info! I had a feeling the dealership service department was full of it when they automatically said it needed to be replaced without even looking at it. You're absolutely right about these things, after further research there's really not much to them. Everyone seems to act like attempting a DIY on these things would be like looking inside the ark of the covenant (Raiders Ref). I dropped it off at a trans shop this morning that works on cvt's. I'm waiting for the verdict, but the guy seemed pretty confident the trans was still good and just needed a minor repair.

Also just an fyi to any Patriot/Compass owners without warranties...If at anytime the trans needs to be replaced, check out the scrap yard search engines.. I've found a bunch that have them for around $1.5k with less than 20k miles on them and provide a 1 year warranty with unlimited miles. The shop I just took mine to said they would charge $1200 to pop one in if needed. I'm sure some mechanics would do it on the side for half that.

Thanks again guys!
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Damn, I'm sure the private seller was grinning his face off when he sold your wife that MK.

Sounds like it is the CVT that is going bad, but hopefully you can get it fixed way cheaper than the Stealership quoted. Good luck!
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
JSinAK

UPDATE... The trans shop took a look and said he thinks the last owner may have tried putting in some kind of additive into the trans (like lucas). Rebuild cost $3300, new install $4800, install from a junkyard $700 plus cost of trans (between $700 - $1600). Hmmm I just spent $10k on this thing I wonder which way to go. JUNKYARD FIX THEN TRADE IN!!

fyi to all the people in the chicagoland area. If you see super clean 07 white patriot with 80k on it, dont buy it.
Thanks again guys

UPDATE PART #2
after my wife and daughter cried when I told them the plan was to get rid of the Patriot, I decided to fix it myself and so they can keep it.. After endless hours of research. I've found the parts, rebuild kits, and cvt repair manuals. Definitely doable and if all goes well the cost of repair will be under $1k. FINGERS CROSSED!!

Last edited by JSinAK; 11-16-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck! Hopefully you're able to fix it with no issues and this will be your last big repair for a long time.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.