07 Compass with rattling noise under the hood. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 07 Compass with rattling noise under the hood.

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
earlage

07 Compass with rattling noise under the hood.

Hey everyone,

I drive an 07 Compass and in the past couple of weeks I have noticed a rattling noise coming from one of the belt pulleys. I don't think it is coming from the alternator because my battery life seems fine. I think it is either the power steering pulley or the a/c pulley.

The noise basically sounds like a loose piece of metal or like a tiny rock is stuck somewhere. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas as far as what I could do to fix it? The drive-ability of the car is fine. Everything runs great, the sound kills be though and I'm completely stumped. Also, I just changed the oil, air filter, rotated the tires and did a complete basic maintenance. However, I didn't change the belt so I don't know if that could be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

earlage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

my mothers caliber just got out of the shop for the same thing it was bearings on a tension pull and bearings in the alternator she drove it for about 5k miles before she took it in
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
earlage

Thanks Bo!

Any idea how much it was to fix it? I feel a little better knowing that its not going to blow up on me. Like I said it just started 2 weeks ago, Ill probably address it in the upcoming month.
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The OEM number on the tensioner is 04891595AB and fits several CDJ engines. The NAPA number is NBH 39053 and runs about $47 if that helps.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
earlage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The OEM number on the tensioner is 04891595AB and fits several CDJ engines. The NAPA number is NBH 39053 and runs about $47 if that helps.
Thanks Gramps,

Thats a big help, the hard part now is trying to figure out which tensioner is making that noise. Or if it is one of the pulleys coming from the alternator, the a/c or the power steering. Any thoughts on how to tell where its coming from?

My best guess would be to take the belt off and try spinning each one individually. Not sure how that would work out though.
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

An old trick is to use a stethoscope to listen to the bearings. CAREFULLY, using a long screwdriver, put the blade gently to the end of the bolt on the pulley and put your ear to the handle and listen. This is with the engine running so DO BE CAREFUL! I still have all of my fingers and toes so it's not extremely difficult.

The upper idler is 04891797AA: the lower is 04891596AB. The regular idler pulleys normally have a replaceable bearing in them, such as a 1202 or 1203 shielded. Those are reference numbers only, I haven't had these apart yet.
pullys.jpg  

Unread 03-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

she let the stealership handle it and it was quite a bit she has an 07 as well i didn't have much to do so i cant pinpoint which patrs it was, i wouln'd rule out the timing chain eaither with out hearing like i did hers and know ing the sound
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
earlage

Thanks guys!

Gramps, Im fairly certain it is either the top Idler pulley or the Power Steering Pulley. On this diagram the top pulley is labeled a/c, but on my car its different. The top pulley is the power steering. I am going to take it apart this weekend and see which one is bad or if there are multiple ones that are bad and I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again!
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You're right, I'm wrong! I'll change the label. (I had it right the first time, then changed it to A/C.)

Unread 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
skeet06srt8

its the alternator, 500$ can. my bro has a 07 compass and his just went. It starts with a small rattling noise and gets louder , mine started rattling about a month ago 07 patriot, 5000km later the battery light came on, made it home but now wont start. going to put the new one on tomorow. does anyone have any tips to make the job easier?
skeet06srt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Roger79111
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've changed alternators on several Compasses, Patriots, and Calibers if the sound your describing is the one I'm sure it is. As a matter of fact, one today. The service info directions is to remove the a/c compressor from the bottom and then remove the alternator from the opening the a/c compressor was in.
Roger79111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
skeet06srt8

Thanks roger, got it out and the new one in, no more noise.
skeet06srt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Roger79111
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to help.
Roger79111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
earlage

Hey, does anyone know how to detach the little red plug on the alternator? Not the one that screws in, but the clip. The clip is the exact one as the ones on the spark plug area.

Tags
belt tensioner , compass , hood , noise , patriot , pulley , rattling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.