JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   07 Compass LTD Road Noise? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/07-compass-ltd-road-noise-567338/)

ups4 06-05-2008 08:21 PM

07 Compass LTD Road Noise?

Anybody with an 07 Compass that has the stock LTD tires notice a pretty annoying amount of noise coming from them. Even at low speeds...especially coming to a stop, the tires sound almost as if they're coming "unraveled".

I've had the tires rotated at each oil change....5k intervals and there doesn't appear to be any uneven wear on them. They still look new with about 22,000 miles on them.

I can't imagine what else it could be. Anybody have any idea?

Paul

Gramps 06-06-2008 03:27 AM

That's about the same mileage that mine started getting really noticeable, similar reports from others with the Firehawks. Problem solved with better tires.

Jeepinz 06-06-2008 02:55 PM

Jeep Patriot newbie...

I don't own a Patriot, but took a used 7,000 mile 2007 model Limited CVT2 out for an extended test drive yesterday...and that was my only complaint! :p

Before I could even finish the drive I was wondering how to fix it!
1. Extra carpet padding would probably help quell the road noise.
2. Sound insulation kit (stick on variety) inside the car would help.
3. Get an exterior spray on underbody coat to quiet the noises.
4. Insulate the doors as well.
5. Upgrade to a better (more expensive) tire.

Good luck!

UTAH 06-06-2008 03:48 PM

Yeah - the road noise is one of my gripes about the Patriots/Compasses too. The engine noise is louder than it should be as well. I can't imagine what it would be like with more aggressive tires. My soft-top JK with 35's is quieter going down the road than my MK.

I've got the Patriot Ltd and it's as noisy as the base model. In many other vehicle lines the high-end model vehicle typically has more sound-proofing than the base.

Though the MK's could obviously use some sound-deadening materials - I don't think that's the only issue. When a vehicle is designed the engineers have the opportunity to "tune" resonant frequencies of the chassis. My guess is they passed on that option to save development monies as well as to keep production costs in check.

I hope I don't sound too negative about the MK. I really like my Patriot and regularly recommend it to others. But, I also recognize there're good reasons it cost me $10G less than a comparably-equipped RAV4. Daimler/Chrysler had to cut a lot of corners to keep the price low.

Bill

2007 Patriot 4x4 ltd w/FD II

Gramps 06-06-2008 03:57 PM

One of the up coming "improvements" is a quieter engine. I think mine is quiet but maybe some of us have oddballs. They are on the lower end of the price scale and some extra sound insulation sure wouldn't hurt but the BA sound systems helps too! :)

I can't speak for the 16" and 17" tires that they put on most of the models but I haven't heard anybody say too many nice things about the 18" Firehawk. The first year that I had them they were fine but then started wearing very quickly and got really noisy.

CoriolisSTORM 06-06-2008 07:05 PM

Mine are at 30k with a lot of tread left, and you need earplugs now to avoid hearing damage due to the noise from the Firestone Firehawks. I am going next weekend (gotta work this weekend) to see what the local shop can order up for me. This is ridiculous. On the 30k note, ALL of my interior panels it seems started rattling all at once now. Dash, both doors, and I even got a metallic squeak from somewhere in addition to the squeaky front seats (TSB for this though).
edit: Quieter engine? How are they gonna do that? Sound deadening? Hopefully no engine redesigns just yet. Give me the Euro spec 2.0L TDI/CRD and I'd be set!!!

ups4 06-06-2008 07:34 PM

Yeah, I was afraid it was the tires causing the excessive noise. I just hate like hell to have to replace 4 relatively good tires just because they're noisy :mad:.
Anybody have any suggestions as to what tire would be a good choice?
I would be interested in only mid priced or lower...due to budget constraints :).

Too bad it couldn't be related to some mechanical thing...that would be covered under the warranty.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

Gramps 06-06-2008 09:07 PM

Find the sizes that fit best listed here, click on the Tire Racks "Tires by size", put in the different sizes and see what suits your need. :thumbsup: Also check the locals like Sears, Discount Tire and others in your area, you may find some good deals.

ups4 06-07-2008 08:24 AM

Thanks Gramps.

It seems that we have a somewhat unusual OEM tire size judging by the limited number of choices found at different tire sites. Goodyear doesn't even have one that size (18").
Yokohama has only one and the aspect ratio is 50 instead of the 55 on the Firehawk. How much of a difference would this make? I guess these would still work, although that's quite a narrow sidewall....getting into the "gangster" area now :eek:. Not sure if I want that low a profile.

Would a higher aspect ratio make the tire a bit quieter? I know lower is better for cornering, but maybe a 60 or 65 A/R would work too?

I've not had to buy tires for any of my vehicles in the last 10 years or so because we haven't been keeping them long enough for the tires to wear out.
Previous to this, if we had a vehicle long enough to need tires, I would just take it to the local Goodyear dealer and tell him to give me the least expensive ones that would fit. We plan on keeping the Compass for a while longer so I would like something safe, decent mileage, and of course quieter.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the info.

Paul

Gramps 06-07-2008 09:57 AM

Paul,

I've tried to put myself in your shoes and stay with a frugal budget. Living in Sunrise lets you get away with a few things that I can't like snow, hills and lots of curves and turnoffs. It looks like you have some pretty nice expressways where you are but I don't know if you have a lot of stop and go driving in town.

The 60 and 65 series tires will increase you height to over 28" which does hurt mpg in stop and go, etc but not if you can maintain a constant speed and it also gives you a more comfortable ride. A 50 series will give you a harsher ride but the aspect ratio does not equate to road/tire noise, that's the tread pattern.

I personally would consider these with those thoughts in mind:
Pirelli P6 Four Season 225/55-18
BFG g-Force T/A 235/55-18
General Exclaim UHA 235/55-18 (concern with UTQG rating)
Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 235/55-18

I've highlighted the Kumhos because that's what I have but in a 235/60-18 and I can give you some first hand info. At 29.1" tall my mpg has dropped about 1 - 1.5 mpg, they are good in all road conditions except fresh deep snow (not a problem for you). They do "sing" on some concrete pavements otherwise are very quite and resistance to hydroplaning is excellent. They also are wearing like iron and the extra width is great for cornering even with the lift kit.

For a more professional opinion you can contact the people at the Tire Rack and they'd be happy to give you a recommendation.

ups4 06-07-2008 04:22 PM

Thanks again Gramps.
The suggestions will give me some research to do, but so far I like the BFG and the Kumho. Both are in my price range, and look like either would do fine for my wife's driving style.

Yeah here in South Florida, we rarely have to worry about even the slightest flurry :p. Of course when it gets down around 70, we think we're having a cold snap. Wet road conditions would be about the only consideration here as it does rain a good bit. Hills and such are non-existent too.

Thanks again,

Paul

CoriolisSTORM 06-07-2008 05:30 PM

Those of you with the Firestones go out and do something for me today. A coworker of mine rode with me to lunch today and is also a car mechanic. He told me that the noise had to do with the steel belts in the tires breaking loose or somesuch and causing bulges. He went after we got back and felt of the outside edge of the tire and then the inside edge. Mine are all wavy on the inside edge. Are you alls?

ups4 06-07-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Those of you with the Firestones go out and do something for me today.....the steel belts in the tires breaking loose
Hmmm, sounds plausible. I'll check mine tomorrow.

I sure hope there's no safety issue IF the belts are breaking loose. We all know what Firestone can do.

Paul

ups4 06-08-2008 03:12 PM

Nope...no cupping anywhere on my tires.

I went looking at tires/prices today at Sam's Club and the few 18" tires they had sure looked HUGE compared to what's on the Compass now. I know it's mainly due to the low profile of the Firehawks, but man, those things looked like they could fit on my UPS truck ;).

Paul

Jeepinz 06-08-2008 10:06 PM

Stay away from KUMHO's! Their price is attractive, unfortunately their ride can be quite poor. After installing a brand new set even the LR3 developed some nasty habits. If I wouldn't have experienced it first hand, I'd not of believed it. Head toss, rough ride, noisy, and the only thing we added was a set of Kumho's. Back to Goodyear Fortera's which are night and day better! You have been warned.

The time now is 04:23 AM.