Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Zone lift

6K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Remmy18 
#1 ·
anyone running a zone lift on their jk? pics?

#2 ·
Did you do a search? I have seen threads on this in the recent past.

#3 ·
Another cheap lift in the long list that includes bds, skyjacker, rubicon express,ranchero, super lift, pro comp, rough country, ect.
Please do a search for photos, there are tons of them out there. You are really not going to be able to tell anything about a lift from a photo.

#7 ·
Well I was wrong, you can defiantly tell the loss of wheelbase in that photo. see how the rear wheel look like it is too far forward, running an incomplete lift without new control arms causes this. This jeep would look much better with a simple leveling kit with those small tires.

#10 ·
With 35s, you will definitely see the effect of short wheel base...to make the wheel fit, you might want to consider some rear control arms IMO.

#13 ·
TheBoss said:
Oh' my goodness, that is the largest photo I've seen in a long time.:eyebulge: How on earth was that allowed to upload?

Edit: thank you for fixing it.
I use imageshack to host my pictures, I guess I didn't resize it.

#17 ·
I would put BDS on my list of lifts not to recommend, mainly due to the use of a drop pitman arm and the use of urethane bushings. There are simply better components out there to go with.

Don't take it personal, if you like the kits they offer, thats fine, run them on your rig if you want. I don't have a dime in it.

#22 ·
I am really not a fan of any lift kit. Teraflex and aev would not be recommended by me either. If I had to chose a kit, synergy would be at the top of the list and rock krawler has a pretty complete lift.
I would choose individual components that are needed to get the job done. The problem with kits is that almost all of them are incomplete or they use shortcuts such as cam bolts to adjust caster or using a drop pitman arm to adjust the steering issue. I am not a fan of using bolt on adjustment brackets that attach to the factory brackets. This puts extra leverage on the bracket and increases the chances of failure of the factory bracket.

Knowing what you need the lift for will go a long way in the choosing of a lift. Looks, performance, tire clearance, ect. Learning about the steering and suspension system and how a change in one thing creates a need for a change in another component will also help you choose a proper lift. 90% of the people that lift their jeeps don't have a clue how the suspension works or what the individual components of the lift do in the suspension. Most people think that lifting their jeep somehow makes it better off road and the taller you are the better off you are. That thinking is completely wrong. Tires, lockers, and gears will improve the off road ability of your jeep. Lifts are need to give you tire clearance, anything more then that and you are just screwing up a complex geometric equation that requires more and more adjustable links to correct.

The worst thing a new jeep owner can do is throw a 3.5"-4" lift and some 33" tires on the jeep to look cool and do it on a budget.

#24 ·
Good insight man. I'm getting 33's, and decided to only get the 2" (1" rear?) TF leveling kit for $130. Looking at my jeep, the stock 255/70/18s look pretty good so I know I'll be more than happy with 285/65/18. My rims come in tomorrow pretty stoked about that (18x9 -12)

So with no longer drooling over a "high" suspension lift, I'd like to focus on the gears and whatnot later. I looked on the differential for a tag or stamp, but nothing that resembles a great ratio. How else could I figure this out?

#23 ·
There's no need to run a cheap lift kit on a JK. You can clear 33s or even up to 37s on stock suspension with the proper fenders and trimmed pinch seam. No need to screw with the ride, steering and drive shaft angle on a JK. I laugh when I see a ProComp lifted JK on 33s. You'd be better off getting a set of tube fenders or trimming the plastic OEMs for free and using the $ for other necessary mods. Just my $.02. If you buy a cheap lift, you'll be chasing problems forever. Trust me, I know because I learned the hard way.

#27 ·
It depends on your model of motor, transmission, your location, and driving habits, but I found 33" tires with a 6 speed on the 3.8 motor 3.21 gears to be lacking when on the interstate. Is it worth the $1200-$2500 to have gears done to run 33's? Probably not.

#34 ·
amick218 said:
I'll look into it, I'm down in Clearwater. I seen some trails in Ocala forest they look fun as hell, never been up in Ocala.
Sorry OP for the derail.

Cool I'm in Dunedin. We ride in Ocala often. Check out the website. http://www.orlandojeepclub.com/index.asp It's a great way to learn and everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable. We're actually going to Hardrock in Ocala on the 17th. It's an offroad park for Jeeps, trucks and dirt bikes. You'll be fine in a stock jeep as most tough areas have bypasses if you don't want to try it. Also, never once has anyone been left behind. Guys with trailered rigs will drive home and trailer the broken rigs if need be. PM me if interested as you can come to an event to try it out before officially joining. We've got everything from bone stock to crazy built rigs and everything in between.

#35 ·
Sorry OP for the derail.

Cool I'm in Dunedin. We ride in Ocala often. Check out the website. http://www.orlandojeepclub.com/index.asp It's a great way to learn and everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable. We're actually going to Hardrock in Ocala on the 17th. It's an offroad park for Jeeps, trucks and dirt bikes. You'll be fine in a stock jeep as most tough areas have bypasses if you don't want to try it. Also, never once has anyone been left behind. Guys with trailered rigs will drive home and trailer the broken rigs if need be. PM me if interested as you can come to an event to try it out before officially joining. We've got everything from bone stock to crazy built rigs and everything in between.
Awesome, I work next to Dunedin high. That sounds really cool man, I'm def going to look into it. I've been reading non stop since my purchase trying to learn about these things.

#37 ·
amick218 said:
Btw I was told I have 3:73
Gotcha. Don't worry about the gears then for 33s. Get everything installed and see how you like it. My bet is you'll want 35s eventually ;) and will certainly want to regear then. That's def something you only want to do once. Turn off overdrive if need be.

Definitely check out the club. You won't regret it. That's me in the white hardtop at one of our rides. This was at holopaw near Kissimmee.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#38 ·
Gotcha. Don't worry about the gears then for 33s. Get everything installed and see how you like it. My bet is you'll want 35s eventually ;) and will certainly want to regear then. That's def something you only want to do once. Turn off overdrive if need be.

Definitely check out the club. You won't regret it. That's me in the white hardtop at one of our rides. This was at holopaw near Kissimmee.
Well the gf will have the jk for her daily, I drive my f150. So the 33s will probably be staying. She's already crying about gas. I keep telling her it's not the Mazda 3 we had anymore haha.

I'm most likely joining! Looks legit..I seen the trail rides are the third Sunday of the month. Idk how many I could make I usually work, but looks like a great organization nonetheless.

#39 ·
amick218 said:
Well the gf will have the jk for her daily, I drive my f150. So the 33s will probably be staying. She's already crying about gas. I keep telling her it's not the Mazda 3 we had anymore haha.

I'm most likely joining! Looks legit..I seen the trail rides are the third Sunday of the month. Idk how many I could make I usually work, but looks like a great organization nonetheless.
Hahaha, I'm in the same situation. My GF drives the jeep daily and I drive a Maxima. She'll fall in love with it and you'll be good to mod away!

Awesome to hear! There are rides on wed and sat too. Many of us camp out for the rides and go on unofficial rides all weekend as well. Also, there's a Facebook page that lots of people post on about going on random rides throughout the week. It's an extremely well run organization that has stuff going on constantly. Make sure you check the website for required gear. It's basic stuff like strap, first aid kit, etc. if you don't have one, get a CB too. It's not required initially but helps a lot to know what's going on during the ride. Outside of that, you'll be good to go. You'll be stoked to see what even a stock jeep can do if you haven't wheeled much. PM me with any questions and hope to see you on the trail!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.