Yukon Zip Lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Yukon Zip Lockers

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Yukon Zip Lockers

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about Yukon Zip Lockers. They seem to be an air locker, similar to ARB, but are priced a couple of hundred dollars less. On a pair of them, that is a savings of $400.

I have been thinking about going with a pair of front and rear lockers for some time. I know I want something I am control of, so either air, cable, or electric. I had been leaning towards air due to the amount of mud, deep water, flooding etc. around here, figuring electrical is to be avoided as much as possible. I had ARB in mind, but then I started looking at these Yukon Zip Lockers, which have a somewhat lower price.

Unread 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Prot,

I seriously considered the same before I bought my ARB because, like you said, of the savings in price. Yukon makes great stuff, and I'm sure that their Zip locker would be top notch (though I haven't heard any personal testimony, and Northridge4x4.ca didn't know anybody who was running them either). The real clincher was when I read the install guide. They indicate maximum tire size that will void the warranty. And the max tire size is 32" for the D30, 34" for the D44. ARB doesn't have a tire size warranty. Hence the ARB.

If Yukon would step up to the plate and give the same bullet-proof warranty of the ARB, I'd be sold. Until then, I'll be spending the extra $300.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. That is good information about their messed up warranty.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Warranty

This is old so you probably have your answer, but I believe ARB and Eaton limit to stock. Yukon will go to 35s on a d44. OX is the only selectable with no tire size limitation on their warranty, they have a hp limit. But I'm probably wrong.

so what did you go with and how did it sort out?

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Gsaxe,

Interestingly enough, I also believe that the Yukon Ring and Pinion follow the same warranty - I've got Yukon gears installed!! I'll go through my ARB install guide and take a look.
Unread 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'll be interested in what it says. I am going off a little chart I made from on-line info for shoppng purposes that is inadequatley footnoted. Never let it be said I don't overthink chit.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
Unread 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you've got some time on your hands! Lol, I do the same sort of stuff, too. Funny, I can't seem to find any reference on warranty in my install guide, I'll have to go and download the user guide. I know I read the ARB warranty somewhere.
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ARB warranty:

http://www.arbusa.com/Contact/Warranty.aspx

NOT warrantied for vehicles for tires larger than OEM size, or engines with more power than OEM. 2 year warranty on manufactured defect.

Yukon Warranty:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...ocker-Warranty

No questions asked 2 years.

Seems like the zip is a good buy to me.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Talked to the shop today. They wanted to confirm my order. Installation date still set for April 2.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Whatcha GET?!?

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489
Whatcha GET?!?
Yukon zip locker for the rear and leaving the front alone for now. I found a teaspoon of rice sized metal chunks in the rear differential recently so I am having it rebuilt rather than waiting for failure. While it's apart it makes sense to go for a little upgrade.
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I thought I would post an update. I got the installation done on April 2. My ring and pinion had signs of overheating, had some small pieces of metal missing, displayed signs of shock loading, and the teeth were sharp and were beginning to get that saber tooth look to them. The metal chunks that were found previously apparently were from the factory limited slip.

So, here is what is new in the rear D44:

Master Install Kit (obviously)
Yukon Ring & Pinion (previously had Superior) stayed with same 5.13 ratio
Yukon Zip Locker

Something got messed up with my order and the riddler cover was missing. The good thing is, I am supposed to bring it in for a 500 mile gear inspection/fluid change as part of the break in and they will install the riddler cover at that time.

I have been doing a slow and easy break in on the gears, so I haven't really used the locker yet other than quickly verified that it works.

I already had the ARB compressor and the daystar switch panel that goes just in front of the automatic shifter, at the base of the vertical section of the dash below the factory switches, so now there are two switches there (one for the compressor and one for the rear locker).

I really like having the ability to lock and unlock the rear end on demand, regardless of what range the transfer is case is in.

I am leaving the front axle alone for now.

I am glad I had this done because even though it was not going to fail immediately, it was ticking time bomb that was going to fail eventually. Overall, I am satisfied with my decision.
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
ARB warranty:

http://www.arbusa.com/Contact/Warranty.aspx

NOT warrantied for vehicles for tires larger than OEM size, or engines with more power than OEM. 2 year warranty on manufactured defect.

Yukon Warranty:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...ocker-Warranty

No questions asked 2 years..
^^^ Negative. Yukon will not warranty their products with oversized tires, specifically any tire over 34+" for D44JK or 32+" for D30JK. I've got Yukon gears and I'm running 35's, which means my gear warranty is forfeit:

It's states specifically on page 16 for the Zip locker instruction manual and in the manual for all Yukon gears:

http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/M...stallation.pdf

http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/M...structions.pdf

Now you might be able to ask Yukon to do something in the event of a failure - and they might decide to be nice - however, their warranty is written in black-and-white. That being said, however, I'm a firm believer that durability is a product of good installation and proper, intelligent use. The Zip locker should hold up fine - and if it does - the lower price than ARB should make it a good deal.

Prot, let us know how it performs and what your take is on the product.
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Since I am still lockerless but deciding soon I will try to revive this. SubAtomic I see your pdf that says d44 24" max tire size and am not being argumentative just for fun. Is that old? Current Yukon site says d44 35" limit. Of course more worrisome is its says void if used off road. Still better than ARB who limits to stock in writing anyway. So aside from lawyers...Prot, how do you like your ZIP

Unread 08-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Zip has been good so far but on the other hand I have been working so much that I have not had a chance to really need it. I am starting vacation soon so hopefully I will be able to go wheeling then.

FWIW, unlocked on the street it actually seems somewhat quieter and a slight feeling of less rolling resistance than it did with the factory limited slip. It probably is just my imagination though.

After I get my electrical upgrades done I will turn my attention to the front axle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.