Your Thoughts Wanted - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Your Thoughts Wanted

So, I installed a Teraflex leveling kit on my 2014 JK 2 door a few months ago and now it's time for some new meat. Found a smoking deal on some wheels and tires, but the tires have seen better days. Thinking about purchasing them, using the wheels and scrapping the tires.

This is what I'm looking to get:
285 75 16 Duratracs
Procomp 7189

I guess my only concern is the wheels. Will a 16" wheels look goofy on a JK as my current wheels are 18's? The tire size is just a tad below 33"s which is the max I want to go with. Any suggestions or is that a good size to go with?

P.S. I'm set with purchasing Duratracs. Love the look, reviews and warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

16" and 17" wheels good on a JK. 18" and larger looks goofy in my opinion. I also don't like 15" wheels with large tire sizes because it is too much like a balloon and handle poorly on the street.

A 16" wheel with a 33" tire will look bigger than a 17" wheel with a 33" tire.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Maertz
2009 JK Wrangler 

My 17s look small on a 41.5 . there's tons of pics out just look for what you like.

Wishing I Wasn't Part Of The 'JK' Crowd...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

My signature for my for sale ad has tons of pictures of what a 315/70-17 looks like on a JKU. They are Duratracs.

My tires are basically 35" tall and 12.5" wide on a 17" wheel.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 PM
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just put new 15" Cragar Soft 8's with 33x12.5 Duratracs on my JK. I personally like the look and they definitely don't handle poorly, in fact it rides better now, in my opinion.

After the holidays I plan to add a Teraflex 2.5" BB
Attached Images

'98 Sport, 5 Speed. Green Emerald Metallic. Bestop soft top.
BDS 2" lift, AR steel wheels, 31"x10.5" Goodyears. Stock axles, stock 3.07 gears.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

What I meant by poor handling with 15" wheels is on big tire sizes like 37" for example because there so much sidewall that when going around curves and corners at higher speeds, they flex more.

Appearance is subjective.

I hate the way a Jeep looks with big wheels like 23" and rubber band tires. Regardless of appearance, that setup would not work well in most Offroad situations. I see a few like that around here and it looks as good as a fat man wearing a tight mini skirt in my opinion.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM
NEjeepSW
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another thing to consider maybe to put the more common size wheel which would be cheaper when you go to purchase your tires...just my 2 cents..adds up when u have to buy 5.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 AM
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
What I meant by poor handling with 15" wheels is on big tire sizes like 37" for example because there so much sidewall that when going around curves and corners at higher speeds, they flex more. Appearance is subjective. I hate the way a Jeep looks with big wheels like 23" and rubber band tires. Regardless of appearance, that setup would not work well in most Offroad situations. I see a few like that around here and it looks as good as a fat man wearing a tight mini skirt in my opinion.
I certainly wouldn't doubt you on 37's handling poorly. I was referencing 33's though, which is what the OP is looking for, if not "a tad smaller".

'98 Sport, 5 Speed. Green Emerald Metallic. Bestop soft top.
BDS 2" lift, AR steel wheels, 31"x10.5" Goodyears. Stock axles, stock 3.07 gears.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.