your opinion on the SWB JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > your opinion on the SWB JK

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
omega1300
1981 CJ8 

your opinion on the SWB JK

Ok, in order to relate this to tech, I'll pose it as a devils advocete questions: with the availability (and popularity) of the 4 door wrangler, do you think Jeep would ever discontinue the SWB 2 door wrangler? What in your opinion are the advantages of the SWB JK that the 4 door can't match?

omega1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
MIKE007
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not a chance. The 2dr is the most capable off-road JEEP and the staple of the product line.

2007 BLK Sahara Unlimited 4WD Loaded Dual Tops, 18's and Bone Stock (For Now)[B][/B]
MIKE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE007
Not a chance. The 2dr is the most capable off-road JEEP and the staple of the product line.
I totally agree.

I have a 4dr, and went off-roading with a bunch of 2dr yesterday. I'll just say that the 4dr is a very capable off-road vehicle. BUT... The 2dr is better. The longer wheelbase of the 4dr means it will high-center in situations where the 2dr will just go right over. The longer wheelbase also means there are turns where you really have to plan and set up for the turn- like a hard right turn in the woods with an obstacle. Those 2dr jeeps would just swing thru the turn with no problem. I would have to swing as far left as the woods would allow and swing a bit wide to prevent the back end from hitting the obstacle. There were a couple times where the turn was so sharp that I would have to go part way, then back up, then continue thru.

The 4dr with that longer wheelbase makes it a more "practical" vehicle for families, but the 2dr is a better off road traveler.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
ironbutt
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree. Having both a 2dr TJ and 4dr JK, the Two doors are much more manueverable. That said, the 4dr has a lot of advantages, better ride, more stable, more storage, easier backseat in and out to name a few. The 4dr is VERY capable offroad and there are times that a longer wheelbase can come in handy.

I dont think that it is a question of 2dr OR 4dr. They both have their place and people that will prefer both types. Why choose when you can have both.
[B]2007 Black JK Unlimited[/B]: [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]4.88 gears, 315/70/17 Procomp Xtreme MT on 17/8.5 Procomp 9005 Knight Chrome, 2.5 Skyjacker Coils with Rancho 9000 Shocks, Smittybuilt Textured Black Nerf Bar, Blackout Window Tint and Viper Alarm to keep it all in my possesion[/COLOR]
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Cyclops62
2008 JK Wrangler 

Never... its too agile.
Cyclops62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Although there are no circumstances under which I would buy one, the SWB version is very popular with many people and a good seller. Chrysler would have to be foolish to kill off the vehicle that most people think of when they hear the word "Jeep".

That said, sales figures demonstrate that they were pretty foolish to wait so long to bring out the LWB version. So, even though it would be foolish, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they announced the end of the SWB at some point in the future.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

They won't, because since the JK, the 4 door brought more people into show rooms, and they ended up with the 2 door, they actually sold more, plus the 2door allows them to offer a 20-21K jeep which they don't in the 4 door. It is a market that is still strong.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt
The 4dr is VERY capable offroad and there are times that a longer wheelbase can come in handy.
Curious- is there any off- road situations where a longer wheelbase would be better?

Ever since yesterday's run, I've been trying to think of an off road situation where a longer wheelbase would be better, and I can't think of any.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
DILYSI Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock
Curious- is there any off- road situations where a longer wheelbase would be better?

Ever since yesterday's run, I've been trying to think of an off road situation where a longer wheelbase would be better, and I can't think of any.
Longer wheelbase is more stable on climbs and decents. A SWB will go over frontwards or backwards before a LWB will. Really though, it is obstacle dependent. Sometimes being nimble helps, sometimes being stable helps.
DILYSI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
ironbutt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

It is obstacle dependent. I have one obstacle on a trail that i drive where i have to negotiate two big rocks. With my TJ, I go over the first rock and am up against the second rock as my rear tire hits the first...you with me on that one? So now i have to climb both rocks at one time, front and back. The JK's extended wheelbase allows me to get up on top of the second rock as my rear hits the first...making it a lot easier to go over as i am doing it one at a time. There is also a gully that is the same way only in reverse.

But the vast majority of the time, the SWB is better.
[B]2007 Black JK Unlimited[/B]: [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]4.88 gears, 315/70/17 Procomp Xtreme MT on 17/8.5 Procomp 9005 Knight Chrome, 2.5 Skyjacker Coils with Rancho 9000 Shocks, Smittybuilt Textured Black Nerf Bar, Blackout Window Tint and Viper Alarm to keep it all in my possesion[/COLOR]
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
bigwrm

I sold my TJ for my 4 door, and my buddy who bought my TJ cant follow me up several hills. Im amazed at how much better the extra length is for climbing.
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Racer83L
2014 WK 

Quote:

When your trying to bring yourself, 4 friends and some gear
Racer83L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

WOW - this is a tough one.
I had a '98 TJ and I loved it. It was plagued with problem after problem, so I had to sell it. I thought I was done with Jeeps until I saw a 4-dr JK on the road for the 1st time.

I started making plans ASAP to get one. When the time came to actually find one and strike a deal. Somehting made me look at the 2-dr - when I drove it, it just felt more like a Jeep to me. I am a very avid cyclist, surfer and kayaker. I knew the 4-dr was so much more practical for my gear, but the 2-dr just gave me the warm & fuzzy I missed from my TJ. They make racks for the rest of the stuff
I had 100% intention of owning a 4-dr, but I ended up with the 2dr and don't regret it at all. Hauling my gear around could be easier, but it's so much fun to drive. With the 4.10's it's pretty peppy - it just feels like a big powerwheels from when you were a kid. The 4-dr to me felt like any other SUV from a driving perspective.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

While I love my 4door, the 2 door is the iconic image people think of when the word Jeep is used and won't ever go away.
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
jeff@zina.com
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sixty years of two doors aren't going to die soon...

Jeff
jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.