Your 3.8 and Spark Plugs. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Your 3.8 and Spark Plugs.

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

FYI for those thinking of changing plugs. I know this has been posted a few times here and there but I just wanted to throw in another account of why people suggest you stick with the factory spec Champion plug.

Today I Changed back to factory spec Champion plugs from NGK iridium. Tell tail sign was slowly decreasing fuel mileage over the last month and a half.

Original Champion plugs changed to NGK Iridium at 107,000 klm. NGK Iridium plugs are done already at 150,000klm (only 43,000 klm). By done I mean worn out. They look clean however, the gap is well over 0.060 upwards to 0.080". When I removed the original Champion plugs at twice the mileage they were no where near that far out.

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

yea, I switched to a Different plug and Im not thrilled with the results, I mean its not bad, but its not as good as it should be. Just crossed the 100k line so Im about to Wires and plugs and go back to the original hardware. Researching plug wires now, Leaning toward the BWDs from Oreillys(berg-Warner) but im still not sure.
Spook45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Platinum, iridium, titanium, kryptonite... bunch of sales gimmicks to move expensive product. Can't beat the OEMs IMHO for price and performance.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
Platinum, iridium, titanium, kryptonite... bunch of sales gimmicks to move expensive product. Can't beat the OEMs IMHO for price and performance.
If the oem could have produced more power or better economy simply by using a different plug, they would have used it.

Seems common on many brands. A lot of ford people had problems with aftermarket plugs not running in the correct heat range or something.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I don't trust plugs when the electrode is the size of a pin... gimme the OEMS.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I generally agree, plugs are plugs, I used the NGK Iridiums because they came with my SC kit.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Interesting comments re: the iridiums. I'm only at 39k on my '09 but have been thinking about changing plugs & wires when it hits 50k. One of our club member's '08 started having a slight rough idle issue at 50k. It finally tripped a MIL code, misfire on #2. She replaced the OEM Champions with Autolite iridiums and the issue disappeared. Will be interesting to see how long they last.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Been running the Autolite Irdium's in mine forget the part number but, have put almost 20,000 on them no problems. Jeep runs very good. On a waste spark system you really want to at least run double platinums but, Iridiums are much better if you can afford them.
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The NGK Iridiums were good, so I thought, until 43,000klm.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.